• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Yamaha vs 2006 Attack vs Ski doo 1200 GSX se

Direct Attak,

It all depends on where you ride, if you do a lot of trail riding in all different conditions i would stick to a shorter track, the 128 is perfect for that, the 144 is a little big if riding all day in the bush trails..

Sometimes demo rides don't justify the sled, i go every year for the demo, a few years back there were 7 or 8 apex's all 121'' at a demo and i could honestly say they were all totally different, a few were set up so dad that i wanted to stop right there and walk back, while another one was setup so good that i didn't want to get off..

Tell us your opinion when you have that chance to ride the demo sleds..

sled

The 1200 certainly is less powerful than the Attack however not really by much. No problems to date with the Doo whatsoever. I've dropped 40-50 pounds out of my Attack and the Doo is still much easier to corner with. My Attack is dialed in very well with most every component aftermarket and quite frankley I would rather take the Doo when the wife and I go cruising/touring. They are both good sleds but you really should ride them both because they are definately different sleds.

Fabio said:
Direct Attak,

It all depends on where you ride, if you do a lot of trail riding in all different conditions i would stick to a shorter track, the 128 is perfect for that, the 144 is a little big if riding all day in the bush trails..

Sometimes demo rides don't justify the sled, i go every year for the demo, a few years back there were 7 or 8 apex's all 121'' at a demo and i could honestly say they were all totally different, a few were set up so dad that i wanted to stop right there and walk back, while another one was setup so good that i didn't want to get off..

Tell us your opinion when you have that chance to ride the demo sleds..
Thanks you for the good Demo info. Also When do you sign up for it ? That day or ?

Re: sled

lawndoctor said:
The 1200 certainly is less powerful than the Attack however not really by much. No problems to date with the Doo whatsoever. I've dropped 40-50 pounds out of my Attack and the Doo is still much easier to corner with. My Attack is dialed in very well with most every component aftermarket and quite frankley I would rather take the Doo when the wife and I go cruising/touring. They are both good sleds but you really should ride them both because they are definately different sleds.
Thanks for sharing this info with me.

I would look into the Nytro if it has power steering for 2012 its got lots of grunt off the line and mid it is like riding a dirt bike and when set up properly they handle great. It is very easy to transition in hard fast turns. If I was only a trail rider it would be my sled of choice, others may disagree (whatever) I would try it out!! I cant comment on skidoos my last one was a 1993 Mach 1 (tons of mods bullet proof) I would say try them all out and buy what you like the best

Direct Attack said:
Here is the deal ! I just sold my 06 Attack on Sunday and my 2006 Rs Venture on Monday. I'm looking at either a new Yamaha or the Ski Doo 1200 GSX SE. I want your honest thoughts on which one is best and why ! Heres what I did not like about the Attack. Steering felt to heavy , Also the head lights suck ! My knees always hurt and my shoulders hurt as well when on a 75 to 100 mile ride. I weigh 225 lbs and 5'11" tall. I do ride aggressive 70% of the time. I do a lot of fast logging roads and grades.I do not care about lake riding at all. Handling and comfort are what I'm looking for. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Not sure which Yamaha to look at. Ask me question too ! I do need to make a choice soon on which 2012 to buy !

For your style of riding I would have to say the Doo 1200. If you get another Yamaha you are going to get more of what you just got rid of.

Re: sled

lawndoctor said:

I have just the opposite opinion. I have an 06 Attak and my wife has a gade 1200. The Doo was better out of the box and the Attak took some $$ to get set up right. I have probably 500 miles on the 1200 and can't wait to get off of it and back on my sled. My wife on the other hand is just the opposite. My sled scares her. the 1200 is a nice ride no doubt, but it is not a very exciting sled for me. I find the cornering to be about equal on both sleds. The build quality... well lets just say there is no doubt the Yammie is a solid piece and the Doo, not so much. We'll see how long it lasts. If it doesn't hold together for the same 10k plus miles as my attak, i will be disappointed. I will be replacing the attak with an Apex xtx when the time comes.

Good luck with your decision. ;)!

Last week got 2 ride a doo 1200 GSX SE and was very impressed. set up out of the box was good, didn't need 2 spend money 2 get it 2 stop darting, I run snow trackers. When u pay $1,5000 for a sled u shouldn't have 2 spend money 2 fix a design problem. Sled rode nice on trail, tracked good in the corners and pulled like a freight train 20 > 80 mph. Slider wear was not an issue all week. We put on 1,400 mi. Fuel mileage 30% better than my Attak. When it comes time 4 a new sled I have a decision 2 make. I also have not heard of any problems with the 1200 4 strokes.

Direct attack TotallYamaha has it's very own demo ride in Munising, Mi. yamaha brings out a trailer just for TY and we get to ride the sleds all day long as much as we want without anyone from the public involved. Every year has been a different ride but well worth the trip! The last couple years we have been turning the weekend into a big tailgating/end of the year party. Lots of fun and you get exclusive rides on the new sleds!
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?p=874236#874236

TBay Sledhead said:
Last week got 2 ride a doo 1200 GSX SE and was very impressed. set up out of the box was good, didn't need 2 spend money 2 get it 2 stop darting, I run snow trackers. When u pay $1,5000 for a sled u shouldn't have 2 spend money 2 fix a design problem. Sled rode nice on trail, tracked good in the corners and pulled like a freight train 20 > 80 mph. Slider wear was not an issue all week. We put on 1,400 mi. Fuel mileage 30% better than my Attak. When it comes time 4 a new sled I have a decision 2 make. I also have not heard of any problems with the 1200 4 strokes.

t bay u better head over to the dootalk forums and have a look !
ican tell you this i have ridden and very much enjoyed the 1200 doo,
the ride and handling was great ! however the trade off for that seems to be alot of mods headers, fuel controller, clutches etc. ! (probally could cost as much or more than an apex with p/s ! also the oil coolers, the stock clutch wear and noises the list goes on in both camps ! you have to decide wich maintenance and repairs you feel are reasonable and wether or not riding all day is important ! as much as liked the first taste of the doo my money is still on yamaha !!

doc 4 stroke said:
TBay Sledhead said:

t bay u better head over to the dootalk forums and have a look !
ican tell you this i have ridden and very much enjoyed the 1200 doo,
the ride and handling was great ! however the trade off for that seems to be alot of mods headers, fuel controller, clutches etc. ! (probally could cost as much or more than an apex with p/s ! also the oil coolers, the stock clutch wear and noises the list goes on in both camps ! you have to decide wich maintenance and repairs you feel are reasonable and wether or not riding all day is important ! as much as liked the first taste of the doo my money is still on yamaha !!

No need to add the header, fuel controller unless you feel needed. Out of the box is a different story.... :moon:

with dually carbides on my RX-1 it feels like it has power steering compared to the stock carbides. I can cruise along the trail with one hand and go into a corner and know I am going to rail through it unlike with the stock carbides were u didnt know what it was gunna do.

Since 2003 I have owned 13 Yamaha four-strokes, one Cat turbo Z1 and two Ski-Doo XR 1200 Renegades.

My favorite machine to date has been the Ski-Doo four-stroke. It does everything better than a Yamaha stock for stock except top end speed, but that is easily remedied with a header and Cudneys Powerblock drive clutch conversion if performance is what your after. I can now drive away from the new 2011 Apex at any speed including the very top end. The header and clutch setup put it over the top. The doo has completely won me over.

I bought a new Yamaha XTX and was completely let down with their latest offering after owning the Ski-Doo. My neighbor bought a new std. 128" 2011 Apex and even said it was too heavy and just couldn't keep up riding hard. It is very obvious they added 40 pounds to the new sled but did not make the changes needed to correct some of the past issues. They are no different than the machines they replace. In some ways the added weight makes them worse than the old Apex. I will say the std.128" does ride better than the Apex XTX I had, but still is a poor handler IMO, and too many other things I really did not like.

I may try the new 2012 Cat 1100Turbo next season even though I hated the performance of my old 2009 turbo Z1, (the ride and handling was terrific though). The problem I'm having is the Doo has won me over. I hate to possibly be let down with the new Cat like I was with the last one, so I'm on the fence with trying the Cat. The thing is I have a price of $10,922 on a new 2012 Cat 1100 Turbo LXR. Hard to beat that with a two year warranty, also loosing 65+ lbs. and the elimination of the Diamond Drive.

I've put over 5000 miles on two 1200 doos the last two years, (one with a FPP stage one turbo) and have never had even one slight issue. Only thing I didn't care for was the noisy three cylinder clutch rattle on the stock 1200, hence the reason for switching to the Powerblock clutch. Now it is nice and quiet.

It's good to get a ride on all the brands. Even better to own them, put time on all and make adjustments and changes for your riding preference. You will quickly learn the truth from the BS being talked about on the internet and brand bias rhetoric.

Back