• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Newbie xtx questions

Smz

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
just bought a 2010 Nytro xtx on Friday. Have rode mostly Ski-Doo two stroke the last 15 years, 2016 etec 600
2011 600 renegade, and 2003 600 rev. Love my doos but both etec s are sitting on lifts waiting for me to rebuild engines.Wanted to try a four stroke cheaply to see if I could deal with weight.
Previous owner of xtx installed 2” track and Simmons gen 2 skis. He claimed it was great for riding in Minnesota type riding- some trail and ditch banging, but not good enough for mountain which is why selling.
Rode this weekend in about the worst conditions I have ever rode, drifted road ditch, mostly hard as a rock drifts and some mushy, and then of course the freezing mist.......
Am actually impressed with the sled considering the conditions. I am assuming those crazy wide 10” Simmons are causing the lack of steering control and 2” track is just not right for my riding. Wish we had plenty of snow all the time here but it just doesn’t work that way. Have a chance to pick up a 1.25 ripsaw studded cheap and some stock skis. Looking for suggestions from the experienced on what to try and or read so I don’t get too off track. Not expecting to match my two strokes but get as close as possible. I am 160 lbs, previous owner was probably 220. Live in s central man. Thanks for any help!

hello.... just some advise the gen 2 skis way wide for normal stuff but work sweet in really deep stuff, i run the 7" yamaha mountain skis which work good for almost everything (use gen 2 for yearly off trail trail hunting camp trip) you might have an issue throwing a studded rip saw into your nytro after a 2" was in there. the tunnel and heater exchanger protectors most likely have been removed, so there will be no stud protection. front suspension set up is important for a good handling nytro. steering relocate is probably best mod for nytro, skid relocate is for short track. careful nytro modding can be addicting....mine has been through a few makeovers, it has been the same for a couple years but, will probably get another this summer.

cheers

Lots of ski info here, I recommend the full Bergstrom setup (shims, triple point carbides, ski savers, wear bars) and reverse the rubbers on your selected ski for riding style. I went for Tuner IIs as they were reasonable and I ride 75% groomed trails, worked fantastic like on rails and off trail in 24" still ok as long as you know how to ride. Won't float like some but ok. Enjoy your first yamaha triple.

Yes the protectors have been removed, so that kills studded track idea. The track is a backcountry 1 3/4 not a 2” . It also has an aftermarket exhaust, dual stainless pipes. Anybody know what brand this would be? The factory shrouds for exhaust are gone under the stainless pipes it is open through to the track. Makes me wonder if this weakens tunnel at all.
Suspension has all clickers set to full hard along with cam blocks. Other strange thing, I have never adjusted limiter straps on my other sleds but this one has no other holes to adjust too.
After reading posts about trimming skis I am tempted, but nervous, to cut down these Simmons. Was thinking about trimming the inside up to the carbide and maybe the outside some. The spindle is centered in the ski plate but it looks like it could be offset by changing spacers around?
I am guessing this sled will behave a lot like my 2011 renegade backcountry, good going straight on fluff like when our road ditches fill up, but not the greatest when they are starting to fill and you’re trying to “side hill”, or trying to navigate the twists in woods. That is where my 03 rev with a worn out track shines along with 16 iron dog, studded which is an animal, but not wth a blown engine. Thanks for bearing with my long posts, I have a bad habit of asking too many questions......

2 inch track is a little tall, I run an ice cobra 1 5/8. yes the the gen 2 have to go. either gen 1 or precisions would be ultimate for trail. I highly recommend you stay away from any single keel, especially Yamaha skis. and don't bother with tunners either, brand new pair hanging here.

I was wrong is my first post, it is not 2”, it is a 1.75 backcountry.

2 inch track is a little tall, I run an ice cobra 1 5/8. yes the the gen 2 have to go. either gen 1 or precisions would be ultimate for trail. I highly recommend you stay away from any single keel, especially Yamaha skis. and don't bother with tunners either, brand new pair hanging here.
You are right, single keel skis by yamaha are not great. For deep snow the dual keel skis (Tuner I / II) are just ok, but they can work great (on trail) with the right setup if you don't have an extra $400 burning a hole in your pocket for new skis...

One of our local dealers has a discontinued c and a ski, the xtx series for a good price I think, 280 for the whole kit. Anybody have any experience with these?

If we were closer, I'd trade you my 1.25 studded for your 1.75 straight up...

Set my clickers all to 1 off of full soft. Dropped two holes to max limiter strap length. Put springs on soft. Shock front springs just tighter than rattle in the air.
Talked to Hartman on sat. What a super nice guy! He calmed my concern about my drivers being curved or as he said “ should look like a mountain”.
I tightened my track a bit more and now I am pretty much too the limit.
Have about 300 miles on now and am really starting to enjoy the sled. The adjustments I think really took the weight off the skis. Might have to put some back in to help with slow speed turn on hard pack.
The conditions here have greatly improved here in south central mn so that might have done just as much as adjustments.
Love the exhaust sometimes but boy is it loud. Have a harder time hearing music in helmet! Would sorta be nice to quiet a bit without major mods.

You said it has dual stainless exhaust? Are they still exhausting from the back of the seat, or under tunnel?

I'd like to see some pics of it.

Also, you mentioned the exhaust being exposed under tunnel. That is standard from the factory. Some guys are enclosing it, supposed to reduce ice buildup.

Last edited:
I thought mine, in 2010, was covered by the tunnel protectors. And then later years they removed protectors?
Exhaust is right after seat, tips are about 6 “ ahead of start of taillight housing. I will take a pic, gotta figure out how to add it here.

CDE60B62-996A-45E4-AE72-C6412C42FA71.jpeg

Back