• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help with XTX

I am sure Hygear does good work, but you have to admit their prices are krazy expensive.

I sold my Nytro because of some issues I couldn't resolve. The biggest one being the hesitation when you pinned the throttle. I spent all winter trying to tune/clutch it out of the sled with no luck. Subframes and tunnel icing were also an issue for me. I do think that Yammi does have the best quality feel of all the new sleds, but it should for the prices they charge. IMPO

Maine-Rider said:
Anymore input/advice?

If your looking to improve off trail performance, the following will make the biggest difference on an XTX. Making a sled feel/handle lighter off-trail, is all about keeping it on top of the snow, instead of plowing through it!
Deeper lug track, 1.75" or 2" will fit with tunnel protectors removed
Better ski's, lot's of choices here. You'll want wider ones then stock so the front end stays up in deeper snow.
Timbersled rear skid with ice age rails, saves 35-36 pounds alone! Also rides better ;)!
OFT steering post relocator, it puts the handle bar swing at a "traditional" angle. So it's easier on the shoulders when steering.

They're on sale now! Here's a link with info http://timbersled.com/MtnTamer.htm

I got mine from OFT racing!
Tuning is done with air pressure adjustments in the floats, limiter straps, and transfer rods.
Skid comes with Fox Floats. I also have the rear Float X opition, which I really like. Allows me to dail in the valving for different snow conditions or when I change the air pressure.

Maine-Rider said:
What does it really do? I could see it helping with the steering leverage but what about steering effort?

The main thing is that it flattens out the sweep of the handle bars, which in turn makes more of a natural motion and "feel" when riding the sled. Less ( and more natural ) effort turning of the bars over the course of a riding day equals less fatigue for the rider at the end of the day.

The relocator really shines when it comes to stand up riding and transitioning between sitting and standing as well.

Best of all, having a relocator will attract all of the hot chicks ;)!

Scott
www.OFTRacing.com

Last season, I sold my '06 Attak & bought a new leftover '09 600 Etec Renegade.

The Doo had a small coolant leak that was repaired via warranty. This did not cause any loss of riding, was minor & was not a big deal as many will make it out to be.

The cornering on the gade was absolutely phenominal. Zero ski lift & it will hold any line in the turns you wish. I've driven them all, the gade is the best cornering sled I've ridden.

The rear suspension is excellent. Not as absorbant as a Nytro XTX but the Doo rear is very good. I had the Adreneline model w/HP gas shocks. I did experience shock fade when riding very quickly up in the County. The corner ability on the gade is dangerous. It is not necessary to slow down & I very often found myself going way too fast simply because the sled corners that well.

The ergos on the gade were very good. Rider position was very similar to my Attak & better than the Nytro XTX I rode. The Nytro handlebar position, regardless of how it's adjusted, I never found to be comfortable. The Doo can be ridden all day comfortably. It is far, far less fatiguing than my Attak was & far, far less fatiguing than a Nytro XTX. At the end of the day, no aches or pains or fatigue & I'm 50 yrs old!

The Etec motor is as advertised. Quiet, smooth (but obviously not as smooth as a 4 stroke) & had a consistent pull thru its rpm range. It went from 0 - 70 very quickly, probaly as quickly as my Attak but it got winded after 70. It would touch 100 but it was a struggle to do so. Midrange was ok but not arm stretching by any means. Being a 2-stroke, it was 'buzzy' which is to be expected as compared to the turbine-smooth Yam engines.

The Doo is not as well crafted as the Yam but that's a 'known'. Yam quality is leaps & bounds better than any other brand. The Doo's fitment & 'feel' is not as awe inspiring as Yam. That said, I had excellent luck with my gade but I only managed 1,100 miles last season.

I enjoyed the handling & the ride immensley on the Doo. The lighter weight & lower Cg is a major, major advantage over the Yam. I do miss the torque of a 4 stroke but I do not miss the tippiness, weight & rider fatigue of a Yam. The Doo was much more fun to ride on the trails but the Etec did not have the stones for frequent, hi speed running like what's done up in The County or in Canada.

I have sice sold my Doo only to keep my finances liquid, I was in no way dissatisified with the sled. Depending on finances this winter, I plan to ride an '11 Apex to see if it truly is an improvement over my '06 Attak. If so, I may go back to Blue but it is a coin toss.

If you have the money, keep your Nytro, buy an Etec & decide from there. If you do decide to buy the Doo, you will not be disappointed.

I've ridden lots of Nytros & never felt comfortable on that chassis. Perhaps you may also want to conside the '11 Apex, it gets lots of good preliminary reviews.

Happy trails & here's to hoping we get more snow this year than last!

You're 5'9" and 120 pounds?

I'm 5'7" and 130, and I can throw around any sled out there except the bearcat lol

If the steering is too tough, you should be building shoulder muscles just from riding! lol

Seriously, how old are you? What do you do for a living?

It is clear you aren't happy with this machine and you aren't taking any advice here into action, smells a little off to me...

Yellowknife said:
You're 5'9" and 120 pounds?

I'm 5'7" and 130, and I can throw around any sled out there except the bearcat lol

If the steering is too tough, you should be building shoulder muscles just from riding! lol

Seriously, how old are you? What do you do for a living?

It is clear you aren't happy with this machine and you aren't taking any advice here into action, smells a little off to me...

Haha, im 17. Ill be turning 18 this September. I have been lifting weights, but by no means a "muscle man". I think I just alittle ticked off. I spend close $9000 and by no means is what I expected. Skis suck, suspention is horrible, handwarmers are a joke, and the gas tank is tiny.

Back