• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

nightmare

apex yooper

Expert
I took all the panels off my Apex to get power from the battery. If anybody has taken the airbox off, I would like to know what you used to take the boots off. There is a bracket that is over them that is held by 4 bolts that I think would have to come off to get access to the allen screws.

I will get my voltage somewhere else and pospone the airbox removal till my oil change. At least with everything off, if I peaked between cables, and brackets, I could see a few square inches of the motor. I think it was the motor, because I saw 2 spark plugs. I thought the Rev was bad, but this is 4 times worse.

This design is almost laughable. I've got panels covering the hood, and windshield of my Corvette, and still don't have the airbox off. I'm not an engineer, but I guarantee, Icould design this sled so it would have a hood, and the headlight, and windshield would not be seperate. Pray that you don't ever have a problem on the trail.

Allen,
Thank you for posting this valuable information. When you speak, I listen.

The fact that you have to post this information, makes my point.

Can you see any other brand of sled that requires instructions on how to remove a sparkplug?? Or to even see a sparkplug?

I consider you to be one of the most knowlegable members on this forum, and know you could have designed this sled much better. I predict that this design will be eliminated.

I know there are many people that don't have the ability to do even routine maintenance, or adjustments on this sled, and will have to take it to the dealer for everything. Can you imagine the cost to have a fuse replaced at a dealer.

I know what you mean. I guess i won't be doing my own oil changes. Dealer wants $100 to do it.

Guys its not that bad to do!

It just looks harder than it is!

The other thing is you won't need to do it on the trail or anywhere else because you'll never need to change plugs!!!

The oil change will be the only reason to have anything apart!

Its a Yamaha, just gas & ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JM2C!

BR

i was reading the manual and to replace a fuse it goes into removing the air box and all this sh!t... all you need to do is remove the side panel and they are right there. why all the trouble in the manual?

rx1ton said:
i was reading the manual and to replace a fuse it goes into removing the air box and all this sh!t... all you need to do is remove the side panel and they are right there. why all the trouble in the manual?

Because there is a "main" fuse panel underneath the air box....

Others who have posted here are correct....once you do it once or twice, the disassembly makes sense....best to do it (practice) in the warmth of your garage before hitting the trails!

Also, my two cents is that ALL sled manufacturers will be forced to head down the technology road Yamaha is already on. In 10 or 15 years we will be remembering the good old days when spark plug removal, amongst other things, could be done by anyone! Think back to cars of the 60's versus today!

I like the new design better - it's a little tougher to check the oil, that is about the only disadvantage I can think of that affects all of us. The one other thing that I will miss from my RX1 is the ability to stick my fogged up goggles on top of the motor to dry out when we take breaks. I guess I'll have to use my wife's sled for that.

Thanks for the tutorial on removing the airbox to gain access to the battery and oil filter. That is valuable and will save all of us precious time. Now, is removing the battery and battery box any easier than it was on my RX-1? The battery looks smaller and hopefully the battery box won't be so difficult to remove.

A lot of the RX sleds I believe had the Yuasa 20 series batteries.
The Apex has the 14 series I'm pretty sure which is smaller and 4-5 lbs lighter :D

Back