• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

No lights

gerald1588

i went out and started my sled last night to warm it up before goin for a ride. it started just fine, like always, but had no head, tail, or brake lights. the dash was working just fine, but nothing else. about an hour later i went back out to pull it into the garage, started it, and about 30 sec. later every thing lit right up!?! anyone else have this problem, or know what might cause it? i'd hate to be out on the trail some nite and have my lights quit.. any help would be appreciated

Frozen headlight relay?

Other possibilities might be an intermittent wiring connection, or maybe the fuse is loose in the the fuse box. But we already know there are problems with sealing on some or all of the relays, leading to them freezing up and not functioning until they warm a little and begin functioning again. The most notorious of these is the fuel pump relay - people who come out to start their sled and it won't start until they remove the relay and put it in their pocket for a few minutes to warm up.

CrazySledder had the same problem this last week... bad relay. I know back when the Apex 1st came out there was some relay issues. Really cold weather is when they started having issues.

The headlight relay is the second 1 in from the outside. It will have 5 wires going to it. ( blue/white, green, black, blue/green, blue/white and yellow. You can check this with a pocket tester.

I just decided to carry a few in my pocket so they stay warm. If they go out again, just replace it.

The relay is in a bank of four that is located just behind the trim above the left footwell. Three of them are the same, one is different. The actual location of the individual relay within the bank can be variable, it appears. Only way to know for sure which one is which is by wiring color (look at the wiring diagram on your owner's manual). Other relays there include fuel pump relay, headlight relay, radiator fan relay, and something else I can't remember (they're only labeled as "relay" on the parts diagrams). Supposedly this badly-sealed-relay problem was fixed in 2007, but I've seen guys with 07 and 08 sleds have the problem too.

In your case, the headlights were out, presumably until enough heat got to the relay to unfreeze it after you started the machine. If the fuel pump relay freezes up, which can occur, the sled won't start. If that happens, guys will pull the relay and put it in their pocket for a few minutes, plug it back in, and the sled starts. Some guys carry a spare or two with them (they're about $8).

Attachments

• relays.jpg
    relays.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 121

Back