• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

no reverse problem solved,or

apexxtx

Extreme
so here's the deal,
Turn key on wait for system check to complete, start engine, no reverse.
Start right away ,everything works.
now what?

I read through the prior thread on the issue you are having and wondered if you checked the throttle positioning sensor. I have an 07 MTX that took the dealer a whole season to find that the throttle positioning sensor was bad. What was happening was the sensor was reading a higher rpm and would not let it go into reverse. The dealer changed relays, wiring harness, ecu, pod and tore into the servo case and nothing. It took the Yamaha Race Team mechanic to come up with the thought on the fix for my issue.

On the 07 the sensor is adjustable but I do beleive they changed it to a fixed non adjustable sensor in 08. The 07 Throttle Sensor Assy. part #8GC-85885-00-00, the 2008-12 part #5BE-85885-10-00. There has to be a way to ohm out the sensor but I do not have a manual for 08 or newer. Just a thought turn down the idle as far as you can so it will still run and try it good luck.

Almost sounds like a computer of "software" issue now. If ou can find someone in your area with a working pod see if it works fine with a different pod.

pex190 your starting description is a good clue, it's likely a bad TPS.

When you let the system cycle before starting the engine the ECU senses the bad TPS signal and thinks the throttle is open and wont let it shift. When you turn the key directly from off to start the ECU doesn't have time to run through it's checks and won't pick up the bad TPS reading. Once it's running the ECU senses the correct idle RPM and lets you shift. Replace the TPS and you should be OK.

type787x said:
pex190 your starting description is a good clue, it's likely a bad TPS.

When you let the system cycle before starting the engine the ECU senses the bad TPS signal and thinks the throttle is open and wont let it shift. When you turn the key directly from off to start the ECU doesn't have time to run through it's checks and won't pick up the bad TPS reading. Once it's running the ECU senses the correct idle RPM and lets you shift. Replace the TPS and you should be OK.
Shouldn't there be a code though indicating a faulty TPS?

Perhaps check the cable for proper clearance. last season my wife started up her sled and right away she got a warning light and the machine wouldn't move. It turned out that her visor wire fell between the throttle assy and thumb lever. It doesn't take much but I think if it's the TPS you'll get a light and a code.

Isn't there a way to go into the "service software" to check TPS? Remember reading somewhere that you could hold in some buttons when turning the ignition to get in som service mode to read fault codes and so, but dont remember how. There should be a way to read tps there to if im not wrong?
Can someone give some info on this? maby there is a thread on howto use this "service software"? Remember useing it to read errorcodes before.

I might also have a bad TPS, mine also act in the same way.

Sorry BombaPolaYama, my bad, I used wrong choice of words I shouldn't have said a "bad" signal.

The TPS isn't sending a bad signal, it's incorrectly telling the ECU that the throttle is slightly open and the ECU is programmed not to shift if it detects the throttle is open. So this particular TPS problem won't create a code in the gauge, it just prevents the unit from shifting.

But the TPS is faulty, it can't be adjusted to work correctly, it needs to be replaced.

well it sounds like the TPS,will change it,and we will see,thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5061.jpg
    IMG_5061.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5062.jpg
    IMG_5062.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5065.jpg
    IMG_5065.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5066.jpg
    IMG_5066.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 91
So I have had problems with my reverse not responding at all also. It did it a couple of weeks ago, and when I went to ride about a week ago it worked. Yesterday, it worked out of the trailer, then it wouldn't later in the day. Any ideas?

Back