• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

no start

yamadog07

Expert
finished season sled ran fine. power washed & left on trailer. went to move it & it will not start. lots of battery, kill switch is fine, it turns over (starter cranking) but does not fire up. does not even try to start. fuel pump working. i tried switching out relays by left foot with new spares, nothing. no error codes.
when i turn key on the red temp light is on. when cranking the yellow light is on. any ideas what to check next ?

Did you power wash the sled with the covers off? My guess is the water has gone somewhere its not supposed too. I would check for spark!

That would be the way i would do it! Pull off coils you might be surprised that your coils are drowned in water. See it all the time with cars after you have washed the engine.

You say no codes ? Sounds alot like my apex when it woundn"t start this last fall. I didn"t see the code at first but when I did it was a error code 12 (crank position senser ) no spark, no fuel,no run.

I know of 2 long time apex riders that after last ride of the season went to start sled and no start. When we pulled the plugs they were fouled. Replaced plugs and started right up. Neither of us has every flooded a apex before. Pull a plug and You will get a good answer if its flooded or has no spark.

I think the yellow light you are seeing comes on every time you turn the key to turn the sled over.

Check your plugs, and have fun getting at those little buggers...

Pull the fuel pump relay then try to start it. If it tries to start then shuts off, it's flooded. You can try and put the relay back in and see if it starts, even if it does, I would still change the plugs.

My apex cranked over fine but would not fire. Turned out to be weak battery (even though it turned over fine). Easiest test before doing anything else is to put a jump on it and see if it still does not fire with extra battery.

wow, thanks for all the input guys. tried jumping battery, nothing. pulled relay, nothing. i agree, yellow must come on when cranking. still no codes. guess i will roll up the sleeves & do the plugs. man, was hopin to just put away & work on in the fall, but gotta fix this because it's buggin me. sled always starts ! has 18,000 kms on it, had just finished a 3000 km trip, so i think the plug thing sounds correct. will advise when i get it done. may be a week or more. thanks

Back