• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro clicking. New relay & starter

Gregg

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 yamaha fx Nytro xtx
Hey guys I am getting a clicking & code 12 when I try to start 2010 nytro xtx. I just replaced starter before last trip. I also replaced starter relay, battery and ignition. I went up to northern Michigan for a couple weeks and rode almost everyday. No issues. I trailered it back home and started it up to park in garage. No issues. It sat for a couple weeks. I went to start it the other day and it just clicked. Brought in battery and put on a trickle charge for a couple days. Reinstalled battery today and just clicking. I hooked up battery boost charger and tried it with it hooked up. Nothing. I even put in brand new starter relay and still just a click. I've tried to use pliers to jump relay and pretty much get NO SPARK. I don't under stand why no spark. But I'm guessing this has something to do with my problem. All connections look good. Please help!!!

Code 12 is crankshaft position sensor.

I had the 12 pop up today as well went I went to start mine and all I got was the click...starter relay. Once I figured out the problem and got it running, the fault code went away.

Did you check your fuses? There is an ignition fuse...just throwing stuff out there to see what sticks.

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk

Maybe you have loose connections on the starter.

The starter relay is not getting sufficient power. It's either the battery is worn out or a loose connection that allows enough power to get the relay to click but not turn the starter over. Also check connections to starter.

What is your battery voltage? Should be somewhere around 12.5-12.8 vdc measured with a voltmeter.

Pete

^^^ Agreed.
Batteries today will start your sled @ 1 stop and the next time a cell took a sh*t, now it's garbage..... Fully charge & do a load test.

But he put a new battery and tried to boost start it.

Code 12 only appears because when the key is in the start position the ECU expects to see a signal indicating the engine is turning over but because it doesn't turn over the crank position code is displayed.

If the positive wire between the relay and starter is secured properly along with the battery leads to the starter relay and engine ground (located at right front engine mount) then diagnosing the problem is simple. If you jump across the large starter relay terminals then you're eliminating the starter relay and any other wiring that could cause a problem. If it doesn't roll the starter by jumping the relay then there are only two components remaining and that's the battery and starter. Have the battery load tested and if it checks good then it's a starter problem. It's rare but I've seen a new battery fail and if you purchased a aftermarket starter I've seen plenty of those go bad in a short period of use.

I bought an nfg battery last year. Dealer replaced it without question. Then I was negligent in proper maintenance and storage in the off season and I had to buy another one. That will teach me. I hope. I asked dealer what the warranty was on the Yuasa batteries and they told me 30 days.

I just had a similar issue. My battery would charge like normal with no indication of it being bad. It would output enough volts to throw back a code. After checking for grounded out wires, I discovered my battery had a bad cell. I put a new battery in an everything worked fine.

I just tried a new battery. Still clicking. Even when I try to jump relay with pliers I get absolutely NO Spark.
I just looked a little harder. I tried tapping on starter while starting it. I tapped the wire connection by An accident. I noticed it smoked a little bit and almost sounded like it was going to turn over. I kept trying to turn over and it really started to smoke at the wire connection and then I noticed the posts on battery were starting to smoke. I gave up for the night. Will keep on disecting tomorrow. Any thoughts. I checked fuses also. And ground to frame and connection on starter.

At the primary clutch roll the engine over by hand CCW (never CW) to make sure the engine isn't locked up. If that turns OK then it's starter related. Pull the starter and bench test it.

Back