• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lyle Rogalla

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Nytro XTX
Any ideas as to the cause of this Nytro engine stator cover explosion will be greatly appreciated. See photos
IMG_9961.jpeg
IMG_9966.jpeg
IMG_9964.jpeg

Back story: Well cared for easy ridden 2009 Bucket list Nytro XTX with 9,850 miles. Kept in showroom condition. This year total bucket list restoration, Mountain Tech cross over 41" front end a WOW, Star Suspension on skid and rebuilt shocks another WOW, Thunder Products 911 billet complete primary & second clutch blue-print, kit and balance with belt gap adjuster FANTASTIC, Hauck roller secondary, all new bearings and seals on every thing that rotates, Yamaha auxiliary heat exchanger, Barn Of Parts dual fan radiator, Evan Waterless coolant, Hindle complete exhaust system with the 20" stealth and the DB blocker (awesome yet quiet sound and a little boost in performance kit included the Dyno-Jet auto tune), new Cobra 1.6 track, Trail Tank, HID headlight, flicker brake lights and front LED all day visibility marker lights, Garmin Zumo XT GPS, Curve XM Pro Skis with the anti dart wedge and 6" shapers, Schmidt heavy sway bar, all small parts and brackets powder-coated Yamaha Blue or white, all alum polished to chrome. This is my most favorite snowmobile ever in now 56 years of riding. Included some photos of the sled too so you can see I really do maintain it crazy good, it's my old guy hobby. See photos below.

The day the stator cover blew up: Rode 200 miles no problem fun Nytro XTX as always, ran great, toe of right boot was shiny with what I discovered was oil film. Check oil, just fine, engine running great. Day 3 another hundred fun miles, 2 miles away from the trailer oil mist is coming out of radiator vent, red oil pressure light comes on, yellow temp light comes on engine running good no odd sounds, baby it the last mile to the trailer. Pull of the right side panel, oil dripping from every where, and big cracks in the stator cover and chunks of it under the oil tank.

When I get the engine out I am going to take it to Allen Ulmer for rebuilding and any updates the great TY Members will suggest.

Any Ideas as to the cause of this failure?
IMG_9714D.jpeg
IMG_9715D.jpeg
IMG_9716D.jpeg
IMG_9717D.jpeg

that line/cable that goes across it looks like it was squished/hit with something. squish starts right at upper crack in housing.

Maim, Thanks for the look. The cable is the power wire to the starter motor, the squeeze mark is from the clamp that holds the wire by the oil tank. I agree it looks like it has something to do with the stator housing cracking. Surely like Total Yamaha, fantastic web site.

best guess would be crank bolt or stator screw backed out
also, sounds like the low level set the light, not pressure, I would bet the motor is fine. mine is nearing 30,000 mi and doesn't even use oil. if there was 1/2 qt left, you should be fine

Back