• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro mtx supercharged. Any good?.

Benstern

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Fx Phazer
Hi all. I found an 09 Nytro mtx 162 mpi supercharged with 4k miles and 2k miles on the charger. It has a camoplast extreme 2.5 track upgrade. Minor cosmetic damage. The guy did the charger himself around 2014.
He said he would do $3600 for it.

Would this be a reliable sled?
Would greatly appreciate some input.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Here are some pics of it.

The last two are the cosmetic damage. 1: he says the plastic melted from letting it sit and idle too long while it was stuck, 2: bumper got tweaked from wheelies.
Screenshot_20230125-140448_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230125-140443_Chrome.jpg
received_2559409420885102.jpeg
received_577755840912183.jpeg

Can’t say that I buy the melted plastic story. Nothing right there to really get hot enough to melt plastic that I know of. Seems like it may have had a hard life. Decals
Are gone plastics scratched up and actual damage. Ultimately it would come
Down to what kind of service records he has for it. What mods have been done and most importantly what you want the sled
To do for you. If you’re looking for a every day trail sled id shy away from the mountain sleds. If you’re wanting to play in the powder and ride ditches with it it might work for you. Looks closely at the track for missing or torn lugs, rails for being bent or twisted and front subframe. Look straight down at the shocks see if they are some what centered in the a arms. Nytro’s aren’t always the easiest of sleds to ride. They tend to have heavier steering, not necessarily as stable going through the corners and have a very small fuel tank. All that being said they are still a fun sled to ride. I like my new sleds but still have a soft spot for my nytro. Some areas my new one just doesn’t compare.

Thankyou so much for responding. You are a gentleman.
I already have an 07 phazer fx so this would be more for powder/untracked trails. I'm alittle sketched about the melted plastic myself, will definitely have to look at that and get the full story.

Is the engine easily accessible on the nytros?
My phazer doesn't have a panel where you can see the cylinders.

Also The price seams super low to me. Maybe I don't know what yamahas are worth but it just seams cheap.

Is that cheap?
Also one thing to consider is that I'm in AK and snowmobiles are in high demand.

Oh about upgrades he's done.

162 comoplast 2.5 extreme track with avid drivers.

This is actually a quote from what he told me.
I was asking about the super charger being 220 hp and not 180.

"I’m sure 12-14 psi of boost Yamaha had the factory kits with 7 pounds of boost that made 180 hp then I just went to MPI and upgraded to an inner cooler, larger fuel pump, extra large heat, exchangers, and they gave me the pulleys for the bigger boost. I also have the 180 hp pulleys around here somewhere."

Thankyou so much for responding. You are a gentleman.
I already have an 07 phazer fx so this would be more for powder/untracked trails. I'm alittle sketched about the melted plastic myself, will definitely have to look at that and get the full story.

Is the engine easily accessible on the nytros?
My phazer doesn't have a panel where you can see the cylinders.
The engine is tucked down in the frame pretty good. It’s not horribly hard to work on though. Cheap plastic belly pan is a pain but that’s easily upgradable. I would wonder if any engine mods like head studs and gaskets had been done to take the extra boost. I’ll be honest I don’t get a good feeling about that sled and the stories they’re giving you. You’re doing the right thing coming on here to get opinions about it. Don’t rely solely on mine though as I mentioned I’m not experienced enough with the super chargers to know all the ins and outs. I’d proceed cautiously though which it sounds like you are. Best of luck to you.

Thank you so much. Do you have any suggestions of who would know about it on the forum?
Not to sure who the resident expert is on here. I think a lot of people went west from the supercharger and run turbos now instead. There was a few problems with the supercharger itself I believe. Not everyone had problems but enough I think Yamaha went away from them and went to the turbo instead when they built the vipers.

The issues weren’t MPI specific, Rotrex built the compressors for them and had some issues that came out of nowhere after years of almost bulletproof reliability.
MPI did go the turbo route after that, but I think the damage had been done. Once the ‘Winder was released their target market vanished anyway. Tough break for those guys after years of quality aftermarket products.

So do you think that the issue would have already showed up if this one had it? Or could it show up any time? Considering the SC has been on the sled for 2k miles already.

Hard to tell, my crystal ball is broken.
If he’s using a 50/50 mix of pump fuel/av gas to keep it alive as you’ve stated in your other thread it’s certainly not a turn key sled. @STAIN and I have both advised you there’s likely more trouble free rides out there, I strongly suggest you heed our collective advice given your experience and knowledge of these sleds.

Yah I didnt like the sound of the 50/50 av gas either. So I guess I'm glad I've stopped in here before blowing $3.5k. Although I still think it was a good deal, but I guess not for me.

Thankyou all for your advice.

Now about the other one. I'll post on that thread.

Back