• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro sliders....what i found

Turk

Tech Advisor
Troops
I just found out some stuff on slider wear on my Nytro that kinda defies logic

I had 600 miles on original slides running fully clipped free ride track pretty tight with stock drivers on marginal snow. I had very very little wear in that time.
I switched to a cobra track(shorter lugs) with anti-ratchet drivers & ran the track real loose & installed brand new sliders(twice). The sliders in both cases wore right down to the wear line in 40 miles......shocked the crap outa me. They wore right by the front bend & right at the rear wheels.After that they stayed virtually untouched after 300 more miles. I lost 5-6 mph on top end.
Now comes the part that defies logic. Installed new sliders & ran the track real tight again. 100 miles on marginal snow & no visible wear & gained back 5 mph on top.
On my sled it likes the track to be tight for better top end & less slider wear.
Go figure!!!!!!

Man that is weird!!! I've been running my track looser than spec trying to avoid slider wear. 750 miles in decent snow conditions and I have little wear.

I have found that also on my Old 97 sx and on my turbocharged attak. i believe it is because the track cant slap the slides in between the idlers, since it is so tight. When it is loose it can slap around and do all kinds of damage and lsow down top speeds. JMHO

That is strange I also replaced sliders at 500 miles and the new ones have lasted for over a thousand now. The 1 seems to be wearing quicker than the other on the very end of the rail. I also have notice a loss of top end I thought it was because of the studs. The only time my track ratchets is on a holeshot then it ratchets once and is fine. How tight is to tight with this track I can get like a finger and a half between the slider and track

We put on four extra wheels ( total ) on our sleds for the Iron Dog. Have a 1000 miles on them with hardly ant wear. Running the track tight per manual.

Attachments

• o8 suspension.jpg
    o8 suspension.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 263
mine is almost worne out after 1300km. Im also runnig my track loose. One thing i noticed is that the nonslip wheels seems to trow the track towards the tip of the rails. I will try adjusting my track to spec and see what happens...

Kråkan said:
mine is almost worne out after 1300km. Im also runnig my track loose. One thing i noticed is that the nonslip wheels seems to trow the track towards the tip of the rails. I will try adjusting my track to spec and see what happens...
i agree with kraken..ive been through 2 sets of rail tips,i was running the track loose due to the anti -ratchets..so ive snugged it up some now..lets see how that works

Turk said:
Troops
I just found out some stuff on slider wear on my Nytro that kinda defies logic

I had 600 miles on original slides running fully clipped free ride track pretty tight with stock drivers on marginal snow. I had very very little wear in that time.
I switched to a cobra track(shorter lugs) with anti-ratchet drivers & ran the track real loose & installed brand new sliders(twice). The sliders in both cases wore right down to the wear line in 40 miles......shocked the crap outa me. They wore right by the front bend & right at the rear wheels.After that they stayed virtually untouched after 300 more miles. I lost 5-6 mph on top end.
Now comes the part that defies logic. Installed new sliders & ran the track real tight again. 100 miles on marginal snow & no visible wear & gained back 5 mph on top.
On my sled it likes the track to be tight for better top end & less slider wear.
Go figure!!!!!!

Turk
was it marginal snow or frozen #*$&@ tight snow with min lube... reason I ask, I changed my sliders this weekend as I had the skid out, they seemed ok after 2700km but changed them anyway. Now the weird part, I ran the track at spec and the sled seemed nuts fast this weekend, pulled away from 800XP. I figured it was the conditions. Didnt confirm this with MPH or RPM but just my arseometer.

I think spring preload and strap position has more to do with this than anything.....even the ski shock ride height via springs or floats pressure.

cheers, Brian

Been on all kinds of surfaces. saw my best top end on super hard pan with no lube...98 mph. Saw my worst on a lake with 2" loose snow...90 mph. after tightening the track add 4-6 mph on same surfaces.

I'm eating mine up only right in front of the rear axle.. I ate the first set in 700miles... installed the new ones... had to tighten the track quite a bit to reduce ratchet... now 1100miles and sliders are on there way out.. kind of pissed me off that Yamaha couldn't out enough wheels the factory :o| We have been plauged with alot of rain here in the east coast too. My only theory is that I spend most of my time with my sks in the air. So the all the weight is on the back of the rails/rear axle. ;)!

Is everyone using the factory black sliders??

If so try a after market coloured set like blue or red.

Sounds stupid but they last longer. Something to do with the additives for the colour.

Note: I'm Canadian and Color is spelled C O L O U R

whats weird is some are fine......mine lasted 2700km after riding in some very bad snow conditions. Others in the same area have been eating them up.
some mod we are making or set up spec is causing this.
I was always told that black lasted longer........LOL

Mine with almost 2000 miles, extroverts and a fully clipped Hacksaw still has the original sliders. The track is fairly loose so I dont understand getting 40 miles?? I would guess coincidence and blame that experience on defective sliders or sand mixed in with the snow. I had that happen on an old TSS Phazer, put on a brand new set and in less than 100 miles they were worn through. No frost that year and the trails were plaqued with sand mixed snow ALL winter! I personally dont think tension though plays a big role in slider wear anyhow.
Im guessing your loss of top speed with a "loose" track is due to track balooning too

Same thing happen on a sx 136" after I changed to a doo track clipped every third... Ran it loose like my oem and it ate up the front and rear slides in 100 mi tight'n it up and they lasted 1800 mi... I think the track was just ballon'n out too much which would explain only front tips and rear wear on mine...

Back