• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

nytro small fuel tank

venturer

Veteran
Considering a 2012 nytro xtx but having a problem with the small fuel tank. Thought yamaha would have a bigger tank for 2012 but obviously not. Anyone have a trail tank or tour buddy installed? Which is better, if any? Also, what is the average distance on a tank of gas? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think the small tank is a problem and I'm a trail rider too. Just have to fill up when possible and keep a eye on it. Should be able to go about 100 miles plus/minus depending how you drive. No reason to shy away from the sled that is for sure!! I know there are other guys on here that have the trail tank and other systems so hope they can chime in.

I couldn't rely on getting 100 miles out of a tank. I installed a Trail tank and have been very happy with it.

Get over 100 miles no problem. Ride hard in the Upper Peninsula. Ride with my uncle who has a 2009 ski doo e-tec and beat him in mpg.. i wouldnt worry about the small tank at all, hasnt been a problem for me!

as long as your not abusing the fun flipper then you could get a little over 100 miles, ive been able to get 120 miles on a tank but that was just crusing along game trails, but when we are f-n around in the pow or running wot on the lakes... 90 miles tops. its all in how you drive if you know your not going to be able to gas up for a while you might want to take it easy, but if you have gas close by hold it to the bar and only break when you get a glimpse of god!

The only time I have ever really had to worry was in wet snow conditions...most times it's not bad and I'm not to easy on it...but then again I also ride in areas where there is always gas within60- 80 miles between stops

I agree that the sled should come stock with more capacity - it will be the first thing I upgrade when I buy a Nytro!

Use the search, there are some good threads. If it was me, I'd go with the trailtank. Some of the accessory bags made to hold a can look nice, but would be a theft risk at stops IMO.

The thing that gets my is my zrt600 had a 13.5 gallon tank and I got 12+mpg the first 4000 miles I put on it = I never even wondered about a gas station until 120 miles, knowing I could still go 20-30 to find one.

I absolutely hate worrying about running out of gas. Only took a few rides to figure out I needed the trail tank. With the stock tank I would always have the low fuel light come on before 100 miles.

Riding at the back of the group, babying it, trying to stretch that last gallon of gas is torture and totally ruins the fun IMO. I'd rather have extra gas and have to siphon it out and give it to a friend! lol

Have had trail tanks on both of my Nytro's. It looks to me like a tour buddy would be easier to install, but not look as good, and have to worry about it always getting the fuel up to the front tank, and fuel gauge reading slow? I am also in the mode of don't want to be the one in the group watching the fuel gauge. And as said above, cuts down on the fun factor. I also installed the rear side mounted aux. fuel cans, besides having the trail tank, since I have a supercharger on my latest Nytro, and you will loose a little MPG because of that. In 2 years I have only had to put fuel in my on sled once, from my rear cans. But have fueled up many of my Doo buddies that I ride with. Having the rear cans makes it really easy to get fuel to other people, and makes for a good time teasing them out on the trail about their poor fuel mpg.

gas

Been riding my XTX for two seasons now, only ran out of gas once. I know that the way my group rides, playing off trail and in the powder, I can make it 92miles on a tank of gas.

No it is not fun to run out of gas, and when it happens you do get messed with quite a bit. But thats the joy of this sport and I am pretty sure everywhere I have rode and will ride I can usually find a watering hole for my thirsty XTX when needed.

Just my 2 cents and history of the small tank. :Rockon:

Just picked up my XTX 2011 and the first thing I did is a tailight relocate and add the ski-doo gas caddie on the back that way I can take the can if we are going out in the back country, thought about the trail tank but it's alot of money for 3gal.

My riding buddy has a 06 AC sno pro 600 and i have worry about him running out of gas and oil waaaayyyyyy before i even have to start looking for gas :jump:

Trail tank is great. It allows you to travel 40% further per fill up, enough said.

Back