• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

nytro small fuel tank

Small gas tank

Before you start filling up with gas, remove the white plastic insert in the filler neck. You can pull it out with your finger. You can get somewhere around 2 extra litres (half a gallon) in the tank. Then when the tank is full, just drop it back in and put the cap on. This past weekend I rode 98.2 miles semi-aggressively on groomed trails and still showed 3 bars on the gas guage. I can ride 40 miles before it comes off of full using this trick. Just don't fill it right up and let it sit, as the tube is in there to create an air pocket for fuel expansion. But if you just gas and go, no problems as you're burning the fuel level down at a fast enough rate that the fuel doesn't have a chance to expand and cause any problems. Havn't seen any gas come out of the overflow. Done it about 10 times so far and other sleds in my ride group (Polaris 600's, ski-doo 800 RS) are always looking for gas before me. ;)!

Re: Small gas tank

yamahauler2010 said:
Before you start filling up with gas, remove the white plastic insert in the filler neck. You can pull it out with your finger. You can get somewhere around 2 extra litres (half a gallon) in the tank. Then when the tank is full, just drop it back in and put the cap on. This past weekend I rode 98.2 miles semi-aggressively on groomed trails and still showed 3 bars on the gas guage. I can ride 40 miles before it comes off of full using this trick. Just don't fill it right up and let it sit, as the tube is in there to create an air pocket for fuel expansion. But if you just gas and go, no problems as you're burning the fuel level down at a fast enough rate that the fuel doesn't have a chance to expand and cause any problems. Havn't seen any gas come out of the overflow. Done it about 10 times so far and other sleds in my ride group (Polaris 600's, ski-doo 800 RS) are always looking for gas before me. ;)!

i will definatly have to try that

yamahauler2010 said:

That's quite the trick.

Using the Trail Tank I'm down to one bar after 100 miles, and that's doing conservative trail riding with the odd short excursion into the powder.

With the trail tank I've got exactly 10 liters left when I get down to one bar.

It all depends on riding style - but I think the small tank is a JOKE!

Rode UP powder this weekend and had the fuel light come on at 65 miles. any one else see extremely bad fuel economy like this? The light normally comes on around 80 miles for me. Im always the first one looking for gas and i ride with all two smokers.

I just rode 160km this weekend on trials, and then the light came on. So I figure I can get 175km to a tank.

yamahauler2010 said:

Exactly! I was with a group of eight this weekend, mostly Skidoos, and I had quite a bit more range than the 800's for sure, as well as the 1100 Cat. The extra half gallon is easily done (and costs nothing for a mod)...

I know this is an old thread...but lots of good info. Good to know I can get an extra 2 litres in the tank. I also have a 1 gallon rotopax that I can install. Is this too small to bother mounting? I figure I can mount it back further on the tunnel because it is pretty light.

yamaguy426 said:
It all depends on riding style - but I think the small tank is a JOKE!

Rode UP powder this weekend and had the fuel light come on at 65 miles. any one else see extremely bad fuel economy like this? The light normally comes on around 80 miles for me. Im always the first one looking for gas and i ride with all two smokers.

Not really a joke...10 years ago we all rode 2 smokes getting 10mpg with 10 gallon tank...range=85-90 miles...never had a problem then? Just don't pass any gas stations when riding in remote areas.

Here is my tour buddy tank. Works great, and keeps the weight off the steering column area, where the nytro is heavy already. Not the prettiest thing till you wrap it, but once you do it blends right in. A turn out on your exhaust is recommended by tour buddy FYI.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 180
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 174
nice job on the trail buddy! Wrap looks great.

I also have a tour buddy and love it. There's a used one on ebay right now that could probably be had for cheap

I bit the bullet this Fall and put a Trail Tank on. Turned out great. Looks awesome and the cowl pieces fit (albeit tight) with the diaz fasteners.

It was all worth it a few days ago when we went to take on fuel and the station was closed. My friends riding a stock Nytro and new Rush had to grind down the road a km to find fuel cause they had to take on gas. I stayed back and waited for their return - no grinding.

Having gobbs of fuel on board is never a bad thing.

MS

lol

I bought the saddelbags from Yamaha with the gas cans in them....both my friends artic cat and Polaris have used the gas in them I never have....lol

I put on the Ski-doo Can with exhaust turnout. Same amount of gas as the Trail Tank ;)! Picture isn't great but you get the idea.

Attachments

• Doo Tank.jpg
    Doo Tank.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 206

Back