• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

****** o7-o6 warmers.. WARNING meltdown of CPU *******

I'm not afraid to try it. I just re-wired all my turbo gauges and my intercooler fan direct from the battery, for a possibility that it may be taking heat away from my grips on the 07, cause they are cold the way I had it. I will add the 06 bars if they don't improve.. Ever seen that Dodge Nitro commercial on TV? Well 270 HP of CPR turbo should be enough to warm those grips!!! If you see someone going down the trail with their grips and arms on fire, it's just me. Tork, sorry, but HAMMERS right, I was talking to "someone" about another topic, and I just asked about the warmer and ECU thing, and the cold grips I was having with my turbo sled. Let's just say he is "in the know", and leave it at that. Also would like to thank Dan, who I respect greatly for posting findings and trying to make things better for everyone else. I know I don't have the patience to put up with some of this stuff like I used to. Thanks Dan. Also like to thank Mr Sled and the moderating team, you guys have a tough job, and you do it well! Mike Knapp#17

KnappAttack said:
If you see someone going down the trail with their grips and arms on fire, it's just me. Tork, sorry, but HAMMERS right, I was talking to "someone" about another topic, and I just asked about the warmer and ECU thing, and the cold grips I was having with my turbo sled. Let's just say he is "in the know", and leave it at that. Also would like to thank Dan....

I knew I could trick you into confirming who "In The Know" is (feeling evil and diabolical LOL) LaLaLa

Thanks for the usual golden nuggets of info and the good natured humor

With mainly the help of another " in the know good guy" can shed some light on the new info.

Mike is saying 30 extra amps available in the entire electrical system. That is a lot, might be only 50 extra watts total extra capacty :dunno:

So possibly not too much new info to go with on the hanlde bar circuit in the ECU possibly being over taxed which could lead to a failure over time.

That is my humble $.02

MUSKOKA APEX RTX 07 said:
Which part of i saw the bulletin were ya having a prob with ? LOL ...Too Funny

Uhhh, the part that requires us to have reading comprehension skills and short term memory capacity :dunno:

:jump:

Straight outta the 2006 Manual

Mitsubishi F4T47971 Magneto

14-Volts / 35-Amps / 490-Watts / @ 5000rpm

Accessory plug-in: 12-Volts / 2.5-Amps / 30-Watts / 3-Amp fuse

The missing factor would be the entire systems "demand" pre-grip-mod.

Don't quote me on the 30 amps, it may have been 30 watts, whatever, I don't care. He said it would miss first due to not enough energy getting to the ign. I'll go for the warm hands. If it quits, It can just sit there cause I'll give up riding if my fingertips freeze like on the last ride. Lets not worry about it fellas. Either do it, or don't. It does no good to fret over it. As of right now, there is no burned up anything. Mike Knapp#17

Just found a free 3.5/4.2-Amps 40/60-Watts I don't need burn up because I don't ride high speed trail at night. (only ride trail as a last resort). The 35/35s will get me back to the truck if the sun is going down on the way back and there's that "lights on for safety" thing even during daytime hours.

------LOW-WATT LIGHT BULBS H4 12V 35/35W------

2-Bulbs On-Order $20.00 @ bikebandit.com

TORk...going into 3rd week now with wired to 06 grips...And i get cold hands,so last 2 days was running them half ...which is pretty hot..thumb at 3/4....hi beam all night tonight...doesnt miss a beat and hit those lakes and pulls like train as usual...pinkys still freeze come long lakes due to hook.

Remember i did foam mine too...which you DO NOT NEED with 06 into 07 harness..lol

thanks Mike for kind words....
Dan

OK, replaced my nonheating 07 bars with my previously nonheating 06 bars. Left Tuesday morning from Land O' Lakes Wi. with the temp at a BALMY -21F. Rode with the bars set at 4 and just my fingertips were cold. Spent the entire week with them set between 2 and 4. Temps were between the previously noted -21F and 15F. 800 miles for the week and sled ran flawless. Ran the grade east of Gwinn, MI. at a BRISK pace and again, only my fingertips got cold. If you don't want to do this retrofit, get some GAUNTLETS!!!!!!! Then you will have warm hands and no concerns about electrical issues. Oh yes, this just MY experience. DISCLAIMER; I am in no way responsible for .... ah , nevermind, you guys know what I mean LOL!!

Dave

I really think yamha should plumb anti freeze coolant into the handle bars to heat the whole thing and have nice toasty warm hands a built in cooling system to boot. A simple valve would be all you need to warm them up more or less. This would also free up electical power to run other items as well.

This just should not be that complicated. I took a set of 06 bars/grips and simply plugged into my 07 apex ER last night and walla! Grips got warm on low settings and hot hot on high settings. This nonsense about the old grips taking to much power away from the ignition system is crap. The power output source that all manufacturers design and use has a overrate factor to facilitate the use of heated shields on helmets etc. that they sell. I know that the heat tape grip design, 07, doesnt work 1/4 as well because that tape also has to heat the metal bar and the grip, where as the hotgrip style has the element in the middle of the grip and the bar is insulated by 1/2 the thickness of the grip. Yamaha just f*cked up and wont admit it. Why does my vector with the hotgrips work just fine and Yamaha continues to use the grips on them then? Oh yeh, the wire harness adapter they give you to update 06 sleds with the 07 bars is in fact to change the grip wiring from series to parrallel, just as the 07 wiring has been built. Bottom line is the new 07 grip heater elements are #*$&@, just like the cat and skidoo grips that use the same style. I know cause I worked at a cat skidoo dealer for years and had to hear how much the sled owners wished the grips wre more like yamahas only to switch them to there competitions grips to have warm hands. I am with Dan - machzed - My gues is the 08 grips will be differant again and after the third try Yamaha will get it right. D one ranting and raving now and going riding with warm hands.

One note of caution guys. In the old (series) setup the grips draw about 3 Amps at max setting. This is 12V @ 3A = 36W. The 3 Amps drawn goes through each grip because they are in series. That's 18W each. In the new configuration (parallel), it takes 3Amps each to get the same power. So it runs at 6V and 3A each to get the 36W (18W each). In the old setup you get 6V across each resistor in series. In the new you get the same 6V but since they are in parallel 3A each is 6A total. I do not know the effect on the ECU of putting out the same power at half the voltage and twice the current (P=I x V). The point is, when you start talking about current draw from the magneto, it is twice what it was for the old setup even at the same heating power. But I guess that doesn't matter. All testing shows that it can supply it. But I would personally be worried that the ECU has to supply twice the current to run the grips at the same power. But, it seems to work. Nothing like real world testing to put our minds at ease that this could cause problems. Testing is worth alot more than all of our theories and worrying.

If I were you guys I would wait till next year I am sure this will be addressed by Yamaha next year. This season is already winding down and it barely began.

350 miles with the 06 bars & 07 harness, running from 1-4 bars and no issues. It is nice to have warm hands! :-o

Back