• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Offseason Storage

SAB1 said:
Thanks guys. Agreed on the fogging. I have done so many outboards I know it is impossible to burn the carbs dry if your fogging. Kinda made me chuckle when I read it in some posts I searched on. The foggin should cut the engine out. I will have to look into draining the carbs after I fog it as I have never done that and not sure how to do.

Ethanol in the gas is one of the most controversial things I have ever encountered when storing boats etc. I have never seen so much conflicting info. I have never run the carbs dry in anything but my chainsaw and only do that as it can sit 9 months without use. Everything else, motorcycle, I/O boat, outboard, lawnmowers, leaf blower etc I just add Stabiler or Startron, fog where applicable and leave it. I have not yet had any issues, knock on wood.

Draining the carbs is pretty easy. There are what look like brake caliper bleeding screws on the bottom of each float bowl. You just need to remove the air box, remove the battery cover and move the battery forward to access the bottom of the carbs. I use a piece of wood to prop up the battery away from the carbs. I then have a 6 - 8" piece of vinyl house I cut off of an aquarium pump that will push onto the drain screw. Loosen the drain screw and set a small cup or can under the hose to catch the fuel out of each carb. I use the small Dixie bathroom cups to catch the fuel. G.B.

I just add startron and start it every few weeks and let it idle.cool it down with water hose. Plus it builds excitement for next year while your waiting for the snow.

SAB1 said:
Thanks guys. Agreed on the fogging. I have done so many outboards I know it is impossible to burn the carbs dry if your fogging. Kinda made me chuckle when I read it in some posts I searched on. The foggin should cut the engine out. I will have to look into draining the carbs after I fog it as I have never done that and not sure how to do.

Ethanol in the gas is one of the most controversial things I have ever encountered when storing boats etc. I have never seen so much conflicting info. I have never run the carbs dry in anything but my chainsaw and only do that as it can sit 9 months without use. Everything else, motorcycle, I/O boat, outboard, lawnmowers, leaf blower etc I just add Stabiler or Startron, fog where applicable and leave it. I have not yet had any issues, knock on wood.

Same here SAB1, never had a problem yet either. ;)! (touch wood too!)

Just quick update. Finally put the sled up for the summer. Had no troublke with the oil filter. Once I got that bottom cover off (5 allen head screws hold it on) the filter is right there. I was able to slip one of the fluted end cap oil filter wrenches in there with a 3/8ths drive on it. Not much swing room (about 3/4 of inch with the handle of the drive in 1 o'clock position) but I got it. Same filter wrench I use for the bike. Figured I would just pass this on. Never had to remove the airbox or fuss with the battery.

SAB1 said:
Just quick update. Finally put the sled up for the summer. Had no troublke with the oil filter. Once I got that bottom cover off (5 allen head screws hold it on) the filter is right there. I was able to slip one of the fluted end cap oil filter wrenches in there with a 3/8ths drive on it. Not much swing room (about 3/4 of inch with the handle of the drive in 1 o'clock position) but I got it. Same filter wrench I use for the bike. Figured I would just pass this on. Never had to remove the airbox or fuss with the battery.
I had to use a set of channel locks to remove mine, guess I tightened it up way too much by hand but I didn't want any leaks during the winter either.

I use Hi-Flo filters and the filter wrench I have doesn't work on them for some reason(they are just slightly bigger) so I assume it will be channel locks again next spring as well?

Sab1, just curious if you raised the front of your sled up with a flooe jack when you drained your oil?
I use one everytime and doing so yields at least another 1/2 litre out of the enging and oil tank.

Irv - I did not lift it with a floor jack but I wish I had. When I removed the small plug next to the filter and saw how much additional oil came out of that I assumed she would be dry. Apparently not per your finding so likely it may have a bit to much oil in it. I will recheck level. Personally I hate the dip stick in the oil tank. Piece o junk.

SAB1 said:
Irv - I did not lift it with a floor jack but I wish I had. When I removed the small plug next to the filter and saw how much additional oil came out of that I assumed she would be dry. Apparently not per your finding so likely it may have a bit to much oil in it. I will recheck level. Personally I hate the dip stick in the oil tank. Piece o junk.

Small plug next to the filter, not sure which one your talking about Sab?

In the manual it states full capacity at 3.2 but also states 2.7 or 2.5 or something similar when doing an oil/filter change.
Reading that told me about a half a litre is still held up in the engine/tank so that is why I raised the front of my sled up, to see if I could get the remaining 1/2 litre of oil out, which imo, I did.

Yes the small plug right next to the filter to the right of it if you looking at it head on. Fair amount of oil came out of it and the manual showed where it was and to remove it. I did not see the reference to the 2.5 or 2.7 so I will chck that. I do believe close to 3 qts came out though. WHile I got you, what grease are you using on all those grease fitting I see all around the under side of the track?

I just buy the yamaha grease its a low temp grease and water resistence it cost 8 bucks can probley match it up for 3 bucks at a auto Parts store .STEVE

SAB1 said:
Yes the small plug right next to the filter to the right of it if you looking at it head on. Fair amount of oil came out of it and the manual showed where it was and to remove it. I did not see the reference to the 2.5 or 2.7 so I will chck that. I do believe close to 3 qts came out though. WHile I got you, what grease are you using on all those grease fitting I see all around the under side of the track?

Sab, are you saying it is another drain plug other than the actual real drain plug? Never noticed it but I will keep an eye out for it the next time I do an oil change.

I am using Amsoil water resistant grease in mine, I use it everywhere, zerks, non-zerked bearings etc.
Pretty good luck with it over the years so I see no reason to discontue.

Kinger uses it as well only he uses a different Amsoil grease, one with a lower freeze point or mobility point.(forget which one exaclty)

No. You are right . I am thinking of the enginer drain plug. Losing my mind I guess. Sled is new to me and I got my thoughts mixed up with sons which I did at the same time. Anyway I will pick up some of that grease. I did check the manual it should take the 3 qts with the filter change but I will double check my reading on dip stick. Didnt get to that this weekend. Thanks for your help.

Back