• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil change - Better in spring or Fall

snoway said:
If properly tagged out would it be OK to drain the oil and store it empty for the summer then start with new oil 8 months from now?

I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

The best thing to do is at the end of the season clean the sled, grease the lube points, spray the suspension with WD40 (or similar), drain the oil, change the filter, refill it, run it long enough to FULLY warm it up, top the oil up and finally fog the engine while running with an engine storage spray.

After that, park it in a dry garage/barn/shed and don't start it until next season. If you have to start it up to move it, fully warm the engine up again and fog it again. Also put a battery tender on it several times during the summer.

Before the next season pull the skid, change all of the bearings, bushings and idlers as required, clean the air filter, run through Yamaha's maintenance list, check everything over and wait for snow.

ApexerER said:
Tell me if this is stupid. I was going to change my oil with something cheap. Regular 5w 30 (name brand). And then change it in the fall along with the filter back to yamalube. Oil has a shelf life thats why they say 3 MONTHS or 3000 miles on a car.

Where did you hear that oil has a shelf life. I have about a year supply of mobile one in my garage. Please tell me it isn't going bad in the container. :o| :o|

Smokey said:
ApexerER said:
Tell me if this is stupid. I was going to change my oil with something cheap. Regular 5w 30 (name brand). And then change it in the fall along with the filter back to yamalube. Oil has a shelf life thats why they say 3 MONTHS or 3000 miles on a car.

Where did you hear that oil has a shelf life. I have about a year supply of mobile one in my garage. Please tell me it isn't going bad in the container. :o| :o|

I don't think you have anything to worry about with it in the container, but if you change the oil now for next year it will be exposed to outdoor elements for a year. 90 Degress summer heat and humidity, cool mornings, frost, etc. That has to put some sort of condensation etc. in the oil. You wouldn't change the oil in your car only once a year. Thats why they say 3months or 3000 miles. Maybe I am wrong but that is what i have always believed.

I believe that when the oil isn't under heat and stress the additives hold up for long periods of time.. You don't see "use within 3 months" on the bottles.

But like REX says I would fogg it out if you store it in a damp place or were condensation takes place.

I store mine in a shed that's dry. Iim thinking about changeing the oil and filter at end of season then start it up once a month untill warm and change the oil only in the beginning of the season.

Just adding my $.02 on this subject. I have run motorcycles (4-strokes) for over 35 yrs. I have allways changed the oil at the end of the season. Cleaned up the bike, put stabil in the fuel then covered them up and kept the battery on a charger/tender. I've never had a problem the next riding season with any of my bike's engines. I use the same produre for my 06 Attak. At the end of the season I change the oil, grease all bearings, change chain case oil, clean it up, put A cover on it and put stabil in the fuel. Again, I have no problems when it's time to ride the next season. I don't believe the oils will break down, or pick up any contaminates during the storage period. At best a little condensation may form, but I have never had it harm the engine. Again, Just my $.02.

Back