• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Consumption and OP-LO on 2012 Apex

kingstonnh

During Break-In, how much oil would you expect to consume in a new 4 stroke motor during the first few hundred miles ? The light didn't go on but I checked after the first 0-180 miles and was down a good 1/2 quart and on the low end of the stick. Is this normal ?

How much oil would you expect an Apex to use...say every couple hundred miles before and after it's broken in ? None ? Very little ? Some ? How much is some ?

Maybe I just didn't notice the first few times I started it but is it normal on start-up for OP-LO to flash for a second as the machine turns over and starts running ? Do they all do that ?

Are you checking it correctly....per the manual instructions? Sometimes many will show low or high amounts depending on whether or not they screw the dipstick in.

jf

Mine always says OP-LO for the first 1-2 seconds after starting.
Check oil without screwing the dipstick in .

Yes, I do check without screwing in the dipstick. Thanks for confirming I'll see OP-LO and nothing unusual.

How much oil do these things use ? Is a 1/2 quart every 200 miles normal or just a break-in thing ?

Mine is using basically no oil so far (420mi). Are you letting it idle for a couple minute's before checking?. I usually run mine and warm it up good then let it idle for a minute and a half or two min than pull the stick, wipe it off then put in with out screwing it in and pull and check.

I call it as it is.... have 10500 on the RTX and 11300 on the 40th... neither burn any oil!!!! but i specifically broke in motors a certain way.... and not by the yammy book.... same as they do race bike engines.

I call it as it is.... had 7500 on the Attak and 2500 on 11... neither burn any oil!!!! but i specifically broke in the motors a certain way.... by the yammy book..... so,how can one infer that an engine will use oil depending on how it's broken in? you can't!

I'm not into the argument thing either, and I'm well versed with this guy's procedure. I just don't think it's factual for anyone to elude that doing it one way or another is going to result in oil usage. It's simply not proven.

I've owned many sleds as well and have always broken them in mildly (according to manufacturer recommendations), and have always had excellent and fast running machines.

jf

I have a 2007 attak I use about 1 qrt every 1000 miles took into dealer many times looks like it goes through intake and drains out the bottom because the sled doesnt smoke. As far as braken in is a mith once you hit operating temp your rings should haved sealed. I have done many dinos with race motors once oil and engine temp is up its safe to start wacking the trottle. I think that if yamis are sent from the factory that is a no no to seat rings.

Kingstonnh,
Dont panic , fill it to the full line and keep an eye on it . I have put 15000 miles on a 06 apex with no oil usage and have ridden my 2011 2000 miles and no usage . the break in thing can be debated till the cows come home but I find it hard to believe that Yamaha would recommend breaking in your new sled in such a maner that it would cause you to use oil and be unhappy with you new sled. as a footnote my 03 RX-1 used oil right from the git go and was using a qt. of oil every 500 miles by the time it was replaced at 14000 miles . If you find that its using oil take it back to your dealer but be able to tell them how much its using.

Yikes, I'm not sure what to think now. I will keep an eye on it but very concerned that following the Yami book for break in I didn't seat the rings properly and it will burn oil forever. It's probably too late with 200 miles on it, but now I'm really going to beat it and see what happens. Thanks for the different opinions.....but I am freakin out that I f'd up my engine before I even had a good run ! I'll let you know what happens and if the usage lessens or goes away.

kingstonnh said:
Yikes, I'm not sure what to think now. I will keep an eye on it but very concerned that following the Yami book for break in I didn't seat the rings properly and it will burn oil forever. It's probably too late with 200 miles on it, but now I'm really going to beat it and see what happens. Thanks for the different opinions.....but I am freakin out that I f'd up my engine before I even had a good run ! I'll let you know what happens and if the usage lessens or goes away.

I assume your running Yamalube?

Don't panic yet as it just might be a break-in thing?

Personally I don't use Yamalube but I would continue to do so until it is changed the first time then I would have a dealer do it so you could retain the bill.

Ride it again and if it still uses oil, then it's time to talk to your dealer.

Just a side note, I have tried Amsoil in a few motors and never had good luck with it.
My Grizzly consumed it bad as did my pick-ups,, switched to Mobil-1 and the consumption stopped.

I also know a guy who was using Yamalube and had consumption issues, he switched to Amsoil and it stopped? Seems crazy I know, but both true stories.

What I am saying is, you may want to try another oil sometime and see what happens as the consumption may stop for some strange reason? :dunno:

Back