• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil from Floats

mateo

Extreme
When I remove the air in my rear fox float, I'm getting some yellow oil/grease coming with it.
Is this an indication that the shock is pooched or normal behaviour?

tx,

M

Front shocks doing the same

I have some gen 1 floats and when i went to reduce the air pressure i got a spurt of green oil. I'm realy hopeing there not hosed?

are you guys the original owners of the shocks? why I ask is that you can add a little oil to the air in the air chamber to change the properties of air which in turn changes the characteristics of the shocks themselves slightly. it is a trick some people use in air shocks My brother who is a mechanical engineer by trade explained it to me once how oil changes how the shocks will travel he rebuilds shocks for off road race cars and high end sand rails all the time and they both use various types of high end air shocks
do the shocks hold air pressure? if they do I don't think that you have anything to worry about. but i am not a shock export by any means so I would call a fox service rep to make sure what your seeing is not a more serious issue

oil in the air

I dont know about mateo nut mine came off and artic cat... ya ya i know and im sorry :o|. They hold air jsut fine and i ride way harder than a 153 should be riden and i aint no small guy either(reference pic). Never heard about deliberatly adding oil makes sense though. Thanks.

Part of refreshing a Fox Float is to add a special oil to the air chamber.It is real thick oil meant to provide lube to the seals.All I have seen was red in color but sometimes it loses its color due to moisture or ?

Attachments

• 0000033626d1474.jpg
    0000033626d1474.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 75
Im good friends with the anchorage articat dealer and they do alot of fox float stuff so ill give him a call this weekend and see what he says. Dose anybody happent to know if you can update gen 1 floats to a gen 2 with piggy back with out strat out buying the gen two shocks obviously?

Back