• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil in Air filter

waz

I've been taking a part my 09 Phazer to get ready for the season and took a part my air box and found there is a lot of oil inside. The sled is new to me and pretty sure there shouldn't be oil in the air filter?

Also in the second picture notice the oil coming out of the cylinder? is this a problem to look out for?

Also I failed to notice when I took it a part, does the Idle adjusting screw go any place in particular or does it just dangle?

Attachments

• PB131229 copy.jpg
    PB131229 copy.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 241
  • PB081220 copy.jpg
    PB081220 copy.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 311

Oil accumulates in the air box if the sled was on its side or the oil was over filled. A roll over valve would fix this.

Some dish soap to cut the grease and a good wash of the filter and you should be good to go.

I can't really see where the oil is coming out from?

The idle adjustment goes on the frame. I have mine apart so I snapped a photo for ya...

Attachments

• Idle adjustment holder.jpg
    Idle adjustment holder.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 256
Thanks for the replys, tipping over the sled seems like what it would be, have had it on it's side twice now going to wash it out and clean thanks.

Ahh missing the idle holder since I have the front end off the sled right now, thanks for the pic!

waz said:
Thanks for the replys, tipping over the sled seems like what it would be, have had it on it's side twice now going to wash it out and clean thanks.

Ahh missing the idle holder since I have the front end off the sled right now, thanks for the pic!

If tipping it on its side happens a lot I would invest in a roll over valve. Shuts the sled off and closes the breather tube that the oil leaks out of anf into the air box.

yamahas said:
waz said:

If tipping it on its side happens a lot I would invest in a roll over valve. Shuts the sled off and closes the breather tube that the oil leaks out of anf into the air box.
It still happens without tipping over so I guess a rollover valve wouldn't fix that - could be over filled I guess. Basically everytime I have looked in my airbox there has been some oil in there and I have only ever had it on the side once. Possible to reroute the tube to the outside of the box -anyone done it?

BombaPolaYama said:
yamahas said:
waz said:

It still happens without tipping over so I guess a rollover valve wouldn't fix that - could be over filled I guess. Basically everytime I have looked in my airbox there has been some oil in there and I have only ever had it on the side once. Possible to reroute the tube to the outside of the box -anyone done it?

Right, even if I don't tip over an oil residue will make it way to the air box. Just saying if he has it on the side often a roll over valve would be a good investment. The usual residue is not a problem, if you have oil pooling in the air box that is not normal.

I tipped it on it's side twice since I've got it, hopefully not a common occurrence, going to clean the air filter and the box and clean up all the oil.

She's dirty cause she looks like this right now, oil is pretty low after taking the front end off and changing the filter... Just waiting for the bushing kits...

Attachments

• PB081218 copy.jpg
    PB081218 copy.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 252
digging up an old one here but I get crappy looking oil in the airbox, all the time, even without any sidehilling.

Whats the correct oil level procedure? (dipstick screwed in or not)

Thanks.

Back