• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil in coolant

RobWarrior

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
09 FX NYTRO RTX
I have droplets of what appears to be oil in my coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have coolant in your oil ?sounds like a head gasket , is your radiator hose rock hard when the engine is running ? Could be a cracked head . Put an automotive pressure gauge on the filler neck on the radiator and pump it up when it's warm .

Last edited:
Couldn't find any coolant in the oil, just a few drops in the oil...sled runs fine but overheats

sounds like another blown head gasket and possibly a warped head. You can test for combustion gas in the cooing system

I have a 2008 Ive had since new. I changed coolant after about 1500 miles or so a few years ago and found the same thing, droplets of oil floating up near the radiator cap. I totaly freaked out! Thought I blew a head gasket! Worried about it for a whole season. Mine would over heat in low snow also. Well, sled ran perfect, no coolant in oil ever! Installed a Mountaintech aux cooler in the tunnel, no more over heating; and no other issues! I'm almost at 6000 miles now. Guess the system just had some oil in it from assembly, or some oil weaped past oil pump seal. Just giving you my experience. I dont even worry about it or check anymore. Oil tank always has stayed full. Hope your head gasket is OK!

Last edited:
Couldn't find any coolant in the oil, just a few drops in the oil...sled runs fine but overheats

They will overheat in low snow, very hard frozen snow packed trails, and if you let them sit and idle a long time. Also make sure you fan works, and changing the coolant to 50/50 helps. I also added the big vent panel above the radiator under speedometer. Tons of heat pours out of there when you stop!! really helps a lot control temps.

Thanks for the replies, I'll let everyone know what I find out.

More info I forgot to say, I have a temp gauge and it was only reading 155-165 and the light would still come on, shut it down for 5 minutes and fire it back up...reading 200 then cooled down and the light would go out. Air lock in the system maybe?

Also yes my fan is running I can hear it.

Head gasket. If it's ever been really overheated. IMO

No antifreeze in the oil, I changed it today seems to be running fine...might flush the coolant and run it to see if I get anymore oil showing. Maybe do Grizz's test?

Screenshot_2016-01-28-20-34-22.png That would be what I would do. Can you get a hold of a pressure tester ?

Last edited:
Same thing I had found on my 08, no am to freeze in oil, just very small drops of oil floating by radiator cap. Never had any other issues. 6000 miles on it now! Saw my overheat light several times prior to all this. Takes a massive overheat to pop a head gasket on a Yamaha motor, or a super charger with high boost.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Same thing I had found on my 08, no antifreeze in oil, just very small drops of oil floating by radiator cap. Never had any other issues. 6000 miles on it now! Saw my overheat light several times prior to all this. Takes a massive overheat to pop a head gasket on a Yamaha motor, or a super charger with high boost.

Back