• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil in intake?

You have to wonder what yamaha is thinking since this is one of there fixes for the prevoius problem,doesn't seem like they put much effort into reparing these flaws
They fixed the real problem with the heated rollover. A little oil in airbox wont cause any harm. When you check over your sled before a ride simply open airbox and pass a rag in it. If you have enough oil to leak out the box you are likely overfilled slightly or dont have the best ring seal. If a guy has real low miles and has some oil in airbox, this will likely improve as the engine completes break in.

My oil is minimal! Dealer told me to never fill it much past the bottom line and I rode the !&*t out of it for break in! Little bit of oil at first but not much next time. I also run mobile 1 0w40

I broke mine in during a 3 day 800 km ride in Northwestern Quebec on highways so I wasn’t taking it easy, but I did have my oil at the upper line when engine was hot.

There is not negative pressure in crank case. Start your sled once with the oil fill plug removed from oil tank. Put your finger over hole and you'll feel a little pressure. This is blow-by from piston rings. The better ring seal you have the less pressure in the crankcase there will be.
Correct there is not negative pressure in crankcase, maybe I worded wrong. Anyway positive crank case pressure robs HP, even a working rollover valve likely robs a bit of hp as I think takes a few psi to open? The vacuum effect of intake would lower crank pressure a bit. Likely overthinking this but I have no snow..lol. A good read https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/quick-tech-the-benefits-of-lowering-crankcase-pressure-part-1/
I vent mine bypassing rollover and to atmosphere as hate the oil in intake, but best power is likely leaving in intake and deal with mess once in awhile. I think this is more of an issue for us running higher boost.

Correct there is not negative pressure in crankcase, maybe I worded wrong. Anyway positive crank case pressure robs HP, even a working rollover valve likely robs a bit of hp as I think takes a few psi to open? The vacuum effect of intake would lower crank pressure a bit. Likely overthinking this but I have no snow..lol. A good read https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/quick-tech-the-benefits-of-lowering-crankcase-pressure-part-1/
I vent mine bypassing rollover and to atmosphere as hate the oil in intake, but best power is likely leaving in intake and deal with mess once in awhile. I think this is more of an issue for us running higher boost.

EDIT: Interesting article.

Original post was about vacuuming the system. Did not realize the 998 was already a dry-sump system.

Last edited:
I am going to run a catch can on my 2020 and leave the heated rollover.
Did the 2020 heated rollover valve update to my 2017 but never plumbed it to air box,instead put in catch can and went to original fitting on intake boost tube.After 100 miles checked catch can and had about 1.5" of oil/water crap in can,intake boost tube was dry.This was in -10c to -15C weather and oil in tank between upper and lower line.

Did the 2020 heated rollover valve update to my 2017 but never plumbed it to air box,instead put in catch can and went to original fitting on intake boost tube.After 100 miles checked catch can and had about 1.5" of oil/water crap in can,intake boost tube was dry.This was in -10c to -15C weather and oil in tank between upper and lower line.

Where did you mount the catch can? I currently have mine routed to a crankcase-style breather but it’s not sufficient. Definitely need a catch can too.

Could you post a picture of this?

On my nytro I ended up bypassing the vent to a looped hose to a water bottle in the foot well. After a day of riding there was 30-40ml of light brown watery slop. No wonder my air box had lots of oil in it dripping into the belly pan.
It was crazy to see the amount of moisture the engine evacuates.
MS

If you look under thread"catch can" Redline 1 has pics posted of where he mounted his,mine is basically same spot except I used different mounting points with bracket I made .

If you look under thread"catch can" Redline 1 has pics posted of where he mounted his,mine is basically same spot except I used different mounting points with bracket I made .

Thanks. Here's the link to that thread so anyone else interested can see it: https://ty4stroke.com/threads/catch-can.158005/ Looking forward to seeing Mr. Sled's too.

It is sounding like I have another thing to do on the sled (heated valve and catch can). Might be annoying to empty it all the time but far better than having oil/water going into the engine.

Here is my catch can on my 2020 SRX.

1EAC9116-46A8-444E-9D6C-21DB7D04D245.jpeg
7ABDD4D8-C7DB-42FD-B01D-AAF5AD2F47A7.jpeg
A14FA644-C660-4202-94A1-A81AFDCE9F2F.jpeg
D6C5CB77-C82E-4FA9-80C9-7532D7337419.jpeg

I have a drain on mine. It’s routed out the side below the clutch. I have it so I can pull side panel off pull out the house over lower plastic and flip the red ball valve lever.

Back