• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Small Oil Leak on 2020

SidewinderConvert

4-Stroke Rookie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'18 Sidewinder XTX-SE
Went over to a family member's who has a 2020 with ~600 miles on the sled this weekend. We were looking at the machine and noticed there is a slow leak from the oil tank similar to what other users here have observed on the pre-2020 sleds. Opening up the intake there was a significant amount of oil in the filter. Any more oil in the intake and it would have been dripping onto the clutch. He is going to have the dealer fix it but was curious if anyone else has observed this on the 2020s.

Not entirely sure if this was how it was from the factory or if it started leaking after the fact sometime.

yLqONdf.jpg

Like I said not huge but noticeably leaking oil from the tank.

You probably know this but these are two separate issues not related to one another.
-Some oil in the intake system is normal (unless the ROV has been bypassed). The engine oil level should be checked (when engine is hot) to make sure the level isn't overfull. Many say it helps to run the oil level more towards middle to low end of the range makes for less oil in the intake tract (including intercooler and boost hoses).
-With regards to engine oil leak, many report loose clamps or bad seal between chain case and oil tank. So first check all clamps (including coolant hoses, oil hoses, as well as the other smaller ones). Then thoroughly clean up the oil tank and belly pan area with brake clean or similar. Start engine and run while watching carefully (maybe even a magnifying lens?) as system heats up. Move hoses around while it's running to see if a leak develops. See if leak is coming from between oil tank and chain case.

You probably know this but these are two separate issues not related to one another.
-Some oil in the intake system is normal (unless the ROV has been bypassed). The engine oil level should be checked (when engine is hot) to make sure the level isn't overfull. Many say it helps to run the oil level more towards middle to low end of the range makes for less oil in the intake tract (including intercooler and boost hoses).
-With regards to engine oil leak, many report loose clamps or bad seal between chain case and oil tank. So first check all clamps (including coolant hoses, oil hoses, as well as the other smaller ones). Then thoroughly clean up the oil tank and belly pan area with brake clean or similar. Start engine and run while watching carefully (maybe even a magnifying lens?) as system heats up. Move hoses around while it's running to see if a leak develops. See if leak is coming from between oil tank and chain case.

There were oil drops on the bottom of the seam between the chain case and tank which leads me to believe that it is a leak in the tank itself. I will be bypassing the ROV on both my sled and his this summer. Really don't like the idea of spraying oil into the intake.

As mentioned above, check every clamp. I actually had a hard time believing how loose almost every single one of mine was on my 2020 (had a coolant leak with 0 km). If they are not the culprit for this leak, they may be for the next.

I have not had any issues with the ROV but I did clean some of the white oily goop out of the hose with a rag every couple hundred kms. No oil has made it into the actual airbox though.

There were oil drops on the bottom of the seam between the chain case and tank which leads me to believe that it is a leak in the tank itself. I will be bypassing the ROV on both my sled and his this summer. Really don't like the idea of spraying oil into the intake.
By pass roll over and reseal the oil tank with this and good to go!! Be sure to clean both mating surfaces spotless then clean again with alcohol before applying. Apply permatex in the groove, maybe the 2 halves and install all the Screws snug let sit for the required curing time and torque
20200526_133827.jpg

Last edited:
Marc - we already know this but we think alike!! Same stuff I use. Never have had a leak! Just like a good paint job though, preparation is critical to a great final result!

I've been searching for the source of a leak since last season. Initially I thought it was chaincase, but this year found it was engine oil. Reading in another thread, it was advised to remove and shorten the 2 screws fastening the 90* elbow on the bottom of the tank which I did. Thought I had it. Wrong. I purchased UV oil and a UV flashlight the other day and added the oil to the tank. Warmed up sled to normal operation temp and let it sit over night. Seems my tank is leaking in the exact same spot as above.

Yes. I have also always filled my engine oil towards the lower level. I believe it’s easy to overfill and then u get more of a mess on the intake. Bypassing the rov is a must!

From an airbox oil leak standpoint, I found that the air filters are "oiled" from the factory new and eventually gravity will allow oil to pool at the bottom of the air filter case. Since we don't operate in a dusty environment, the oil is not needed. I used to a run an oiled air filter in my truck many moons ago. I took mine out, washed it with dawn let it dry, reinstalled, problem gone.

Back