• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

oil leak

rydblue said:
Got a chance to check it out, looks like it was coming from the air box. There was alot of oil residue in the air box but no liquid puddles of oil. I sprayed brake cleaner into the airbox where the drain hole is and the cleaner runs down the front of the block, over the oil filter and off the corner of the engine block right into the belly pan where I noticed the oil leaking from. I completely cleaned out the air box and engine block of all oil residue and put everything back together. I still dont understand how this could cause a sudden puddle of oil like it did, I could see a constant steady drip but not a big puddle all at once. Someone told me that I should not be filling the oil tank all the way to the full mark, just to keep the level somewhere in the middle of full and add. Anyone else hear that?
I noticed exactly the same thing on my phazer, could i just drive on or should i clean out the whole airbox? I think that this same oil leak thing could happen when your sled fall over.

Orv said:
I have been reading this forum and have learned lot from it. I have an 07 GT and have experienced many of the problems others have. I had an oil leak which was detected at the time of the steering recall in Nov. It turned out to be chain oil and a small rubber grommet had to be replaced. This was all done by the dealer and under warranty.

I have had a "nusance" leak since last year. Very little, just enough to make you go crazy. Very hard to track. Chain oil for sure. First appear to be a possilbe seal or O-ring on the chaincase shaft.

I changed the gearing (top gear from 18T to 17T) and found the problem. Same as ORV had experienced. The oil funnel pipe that feeds the gear reduction case has a long tube grommet. No tears or scuff marks. I think that the chaincase and gear case are misaligned slightly during assembly. Yamaha uses no sealant. I will during the re-assembly of the chain case. See item #73 and #74 on the "track drive 2" sheet.
http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/ ... fault.aspx

rotax454,

i went through the same on my sled. dealer tried some sealer. no help. then dealer replaced the seal & grommet because it was torn & also realigned the cases.
i guess this problem was for 07's, as my dealer said the 08's have a dowl pin to line up the cases.

Back