• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ok i wanna check the oil on my sled and i can not find a dip

Well, while it is open and active again I would like to add to it. On my last trip to Quebec this year we did a little test. We warmed up the sled until the light went out, and checked the oil. It was low. So we added enough to get the level back to about midway between high and low and went riding. At the end of the day while the sled was still hot we checked it again, and it was off the scale high. I am convinced that many people over fill their sleds with oil by checking it with the engine cold. Then when it gets hot it is now over filled and blows off until it is back down to the correct level and the cycle repeats itself the next day.

tHE REASON PEOPLE OVER FILL THEIR SLEDS, is because they check their oil without screwing the dip stick all the way in. Then they think they are low, so they add oil, which puts them over the full mark ,and they blow oil out. PLEASE CHECK YOUR OIL WITH THE DIP STICK SCREWED ALL THE WAY IN SO YOU DON'T OVER FILL IT.

Big Black Warrior....77srxdude is correct. You DO NOT screw the dip stick in. You dip it, pull it out and read it WITHOUT threading it down.
Read your Manual.

77srxdude and SNOWDOG are right. I made that incorrect statement earlier in this post and was corrected. Just for kicks though check out the difference in levels if you check your oil at the end of the day while the engine is hot versus just warming it up and checking it at the beginning of the day. I saw as much as a half inch difference in level.

I was having a bad day lol when i posted it. Another thing to look at yes over filling does cause the oil to get burned and so forth. Another thing i thought about was that these sledds are running so hot 18-190 constant in some conditons this places a great deal of stress on the parts and the oil starts to break down. I changed my oil and it was gold color the first 500km then at 1000km it was soo black that i had to change it.

josh

Yesterday I warmed the engine to check the oil level, shut it off and measured the oil level by the book, it was below the E mark. Later in the evening I added 1/4 of a quarter and oil level rose to the E mark with engine cold. Today I took it for a spin for 50 miles. When I returned back home I measured the oil level right after shutting down the engine, it was right at the F mark. When filling oil into a cold engine, it seems that filling more than up to the E mark will be overfilling it.

Best way to check oil is at the end of the day when you park your sled. Everything is hot including the oil. If you warm it up even till the light comes on the water is hot but the oil is not. It seems that about a half pint is still in the motor not yet scavenged to the tank.

Sasquatch - So true :)

Back