• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ok i wanna check the oil on my sled and i can not find a dip

good thing that i caught this post. I'm in the process of changing the oil for the first time and
I new nuthin about the Oil tank. DUH. I guess I woulda figured it out when I went to fill it. Definately cannot get filter off by hand. I will need a filter wrench or a pipe wrench

Turbo50Mike said:
Red2003 said:
DO NOT screw the dip stick back in. The oil level is checked with engine fully hot, and dipstick only inserted to beginning of threads. You will over fill it if you screw it in and you'll blow the extra oil into your air box.

Negative. If you check it with the dipstick screwed in, it will be underfilled, not overfilled.

Okay, which way is correct? Turbo50Mike has to be right. If you look at plastic on the dipstick and recall the markings, you have the E towards the bottom and the F towards the top. Now, if you don't screw the dip stick down and you were suppose to, the E will be higher and wouldn't that cause you to over fill? If you screw it down and you weren't suppose to, the E would be lower and wouldn't that cause you to under fill?

I just changed my oil and filter and if I screw the dip stick down, the gauge reads right at F. If I wipe dry and recheck but with dip stick not screwed down, I get a reading between E and F. Adding more is either going to bring my oil level up to where it needs to be or I am going to overfill.

how simple can this be? remove dipstick, wipe it clean, insert dipstick, remove it and read it.you only thread it in when you are done, and dont forget to clip the plug back on.

QCRider said:
JDMCRX said:
yeap found that but the drain plug and oil filter are located were?

Ok, now you are headed for some fun. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the reservoir, and another one behind the black plastic cover you wrote about. The filter is the real fun part. You have to remove the air box. Once you do this, the filter is below the battery and battery bracket. The battery needs to be removed and from there you can pretty much figure out the rest. If you are changing the oil for the first time be prepared for one seriously tight filter. It can be a real PITA to get it out.

Your not kidding about the filter being tight. I remember having a mangled mess of an oil filter after the first change. What the hell were they thinking when they put these things on????? As someone posted in a thread I read back a ways about how tight they are from the factory...
"we now know where retired sumo wrestlers work"

RobX-1 said:
Turbo50Mike said:
Red2003 said:
DO NOT screw the dip stick back in. The oil level is checked with engine fully hot, and dipstick only inserted to beginning of threads. You will over fill it if you screw it in and you'll blow the extra oil into your air box.

Negative. If you check it with the dipstick screwed in, it will be underfilled, not overfilled.

Okay, which way is correct? Turbo50Mike has to be right. If you look at plastic on the dipstick and recall the markings, you have the E towards the bottom and the F towards the top. Now, if you don't screw the dip stick down and you were suppose to, the E will be higher and wouldn't that cause you to over fill? If you screw it down and you weren't suppose to, the E would be lower and wouldn't that cause you to under fill?

I just changed my oil and filter and if I screw the dip stick down, the gauge reads right at F. If I wipe dry and recheck but with dip stick not screwed down, I get a reading between E and F. Adding more is either going to bring my oil level up to where it needs to be or I am going to overfill.

The correct way is to warm engine up shut it off and let sit for five minutes. Open the hood remove the clip and unscrew the dip stick. Wipe it off and stick it back in without threading it back in. Pull it out and read the correct level.

I would like to add to this topic. Make sure you are very careful with the rubber O ring on the dipstick. On more than one occaision it came off of the dipstick and fell down under the engine. What a bear to find and put back together. It is rusty color and sits flush into the resessed oil reservoir. Just an FYI.

Yes good call on the rubber o ring Boston RX1 mine usually stays right on top of the reservoir when I check mine.

DO NOT THINK IT HAS TO BE FULL, OR ADD TO IT should it read at or near E. Any amount between E and F is sufficient. Adding more oil may actually cause you to USE more.

Use your hands ONLY to tighten the filter. Do not use impliments such as filter wrenchs, straps, sockets, etc... These should only be used to remove the filter.

If you do not have a filter wrench or removal tool you can use a screwdriver to remove the oil filter. Simply push a screwdriver through the old oil filter and unscrew it, works well. The new one should be thightened by hand.

rxrider said:
If you do not have a filter wrench or removal tool you can use a screwdriver to remove the oil filter. Simply push a screwdriver through the old oil filter and unscrew it, works well. The new one should be thightened by hand.
Ive seen people try this on a filter that is real tight the screw driver will rip the filter and then you are screwed. I dont think I would do this unless it was an absolute emergency.

Re: tight filter!

rochmatt27 said:
Holy cow was that filter tight from the factory!

Did the first change over the weekend

all set now though!

Here's a rarely seen picture of the factory's oil filter guy..........

9.jpg

Back