• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ok, what do you use for overnight trips?

Hookman49

Extreme
On my XT, I used saddlebags. But after reading some posts here I see that some of the RX1 saddlebags are causing damage to your sleds.

So what are some of you using? Are you using saddlebags or something else? Thought about a back pack, but don't know if I could stand that on my back for any length of time.

Ken

I quit using saddlebags years ago because they didn't hold up very well. Nowadays I can pack enouch underwear socks and an extra t-shirt to carry me for 3-4 days on the trail in a tank bag. I think I might try the small Yamaha RX/RS Sport Luggage bag for the back of my seat and then one of the bags that goes up front under the hood. I don't want to cover my cool looking tank with an ugly tank bag.

Try a generic tank bag strapped to the seat behind you. I have done this on my warrior and it works great. It also doubles as a back rest which is very comfortable for the long trips.

Attachments

• IMG_3854.JPG
    IMG_3854.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 141
I use the the semi-ridged saddlebags & trunk bag on my Warrior. I did three saddle bag trips last year with a total of 1800-2000 miles and the bags have zero damage. I lined the under side of the saddlebags with fleece after the first trip as one of my exhaust covers got a minor scuff.

I also have the tank bag (also lined with fleece) but don't use it as I like to hug the tank when riding agressively and it gets in the way.

I use a good backpack that has back padding and a belt harness. I got used to it on trips and really like it. I’m going to get the front storage bag for the Apex so I should be good to go for a whole week.

Dan

The combination sport lugage has worked great for me. About 2100 miles on bagger trips with these and no problems.

We use a backpack all day long, all weekend in the mountains, but do not really carry enough for overnight stays.

I use VISA and stay at a hotel, because sleeping outside in winter SUCKS!!!

We did it once last year, mid February, -32c on a lake in Northern Saskatchewan on a sled in fishing trip. About a dozen of us stayed in a huge army tent, with a wood stove, and a propane catalytic heater, and still froze our asses off. I even bought a metal hammock and slept off the ground. NEVER EVER EVER EVER AGAIN on purpose, anyway.
Actually, trying to stay warm was not the worst problem, it was all the *@#*!! snoring, and the fact that this ws a church group, everyone went to bed at 7:30 pm.
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever...........................................................again

2 Years ago we did a loop in Ontario from the Soo, Hearst, Timmins and back. Used tank bag-map bag for food and drink, back pack for clothes. I always use a back pack any how and it was very comfotable.

sinjin said:
The combination sport lugage has worked great for me. About 2100 miles on bagger trips with these and no problems.
I'll second this bag. I have done 3-4 day trips with this bag, and even a 7 day trip. Not one problem. I like it so much that I keep it on the sled even for day rides. You don't notice it is back there while riding and you have place to store your TY hat while riding. Not one problem with this bag on either of my RX-1's.

last year was my first overnighter , about 4 days , wore alot of the same clothes :shock: but used a backpack . sometimes a pain but not real bad.
Might try the idea of the tank bag on the back though.
Thanks for the idea

I have only been able to do 1 overnight trip, 700 miles total in 2 days (half of those miles were narrow, tight, bumpy trails) and I used a semi-quality hiking backpack, the kind with the reinforcements and extra buckles and straps. It was the highest end that Walmart carries. It was actually pretty comfortable, and had lots of room for everything I needed. I'm a big guy at 6'4", and pretty large, so the tank bag hold a pair of gloves and a sweatshirt and not much else for me. I didn't really bring extra changes of clothes, just the basic stuff to plan for all weather conditions, like extra gloves, socks, and underwear, an extra sweatshirt, and a couple pairs of sweat pants...enough things to be able to add layers as I needed them. And boy did i need them. Temps ranged from around 30 degrees in the sun (1 layer of the jacket and just a pair of sweat pants under my riding pants), to around -10 or a bit colder when we got north (2 pairs of sweat pants, sweat shirt, and both layers of the jacket).

I also planned for the trip with a few extras like a partial roll of paper towels (bathroom stops, or to dry hands if you have to work without your gloves), spare parts (I was riding a Cat 2-stroke back then), food and drinks (although i found that Hi-C freezes pretty quickly, even when sloshing around over bumps at 70+ mph), and a few other extras.

I believe in travelling light, but carrying anything that might be necessary if you break down or have other problems. Many spare parts and other sled-related requirements can be carried right on the sled if you are careful. Of course a spare belt fits on the belt guard, but a tow rope can be wound around the rear grab bar, and little storage boxes can be mounted to several places under the hood for spare plugs, fluids, or tools that don't fit in the tool box.

Jim

I used the yammie bags that sit on top of the seat with two sides above the pipes. No possible way to cause damage. I'll be using the same bags on my Apex. I suppose you young bucks can get away with backpacks, but beware you dont want to start to get back troubles.

forgot to say- we pulled sleds that were 12' long, 2 1/2' wide, 2 1/2 feet deep. But, the plan was for a few nights, not just one. We hauled tents, gas, coolers, everything on these rigs.

Back