• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ontario snowmobile tie down regs?

snobro

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha Attack GT
New Guy here sorry if this has been talked about before. I did try the search function before posting and couldn't find a answer

My question is, Does anyone know the Official MTO regulations for securing down a snowmobile to a truck or trailer? I have read on other forums that there must be 4 points and each point must be rated for total weight of snowmobile.

I am going to be using a open 4 place snowmobile trailer, (deck over not enclosed) so i'm open for the world to see and one snowmobile in box of truck. Last year I was like a magnet for MTO/Police. Mostly over lights and weight class of my 1 ton truck, do I need a CVOR, is the trailer safe etc. No issues their, all was cleared up but then they never looked at the tie downs so it got me to thinking about the tie downs. I used 3 ratchet straps per sled which was a real PITA!! and if there saying I should of had 4! OMG! remember here I'm hauling five sleds so everything is x5.

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm just trying to do my homework now before I do get pulled over, because I will. Until I can save the $$ for an enclosed, this is just reality now for me.

great question Have never been aware of any states or Canada but likely we will learn Merry Christmas and Eve

Some of those questions are answered here:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/commercial-vehicle-faq.shtml#a3

And this excerpt from the document here says:

Pickups used for personal purposes only:

A pickup that is never used for business purposes and never tows a trailer that is used for business purposes is exempt from CVOR, daily inspections and hours-of-service rules. This applies regardless of the pickup's registered gross weight or any actual weights of the pickup and or trailer.

The following considerations may assist in determining whether a pickup is for "personal purposes";

- pickups towing house trailers, camper trailers, boat trailers, ATV and snowmobile trailers, etc. when towed for recreational purposes are examples of personal purpose trailers.

- pickups towing stockcar and racecar trailers, when towed for recreational purposes are considered personal purposes trailers, even though prize money may be involved in the racing.

Only thing I could find for the strength of tying down the sleds is this regarding the trailers:

Snowmobile Trailers (Standard 906)
906 Every snowmobile trailer shall be equipped with

• (a) one or more tie-down cross bars located in such a manner as to be capable of clamping the skis of as many snowmobiles as the trailer is capable of carrying; and

• (b) tie-down points to which each snowmobile can be secured by ropes or straps and that are of sufficient strength to withstand a force of 2 224.11 N (500 pounds) applied separately from any direction to each tie-down point.

Best thing is to call the MTO at 1-800-387-7736. Don't ask a cop. They don't know. MTO enforcement officers do though if you happen to spot one.

MTO/OPP had a blitz last winter. When I was pulled over they checked my sled and also told me 4 points of tie down, each able to handle the weight of my sled. I had 2 ratchet straps, had to reconfigure and use two more. They also mentioned that I was hauling to much gas, you are allowed a certified container of up to 20 litres, and a extra 20 litres only if you have a atv ,sno snowmobile etc. I had 3 cans. No fines just warning and education..It's bullshit..But I guess that the law..

awesome guys! thanks so much! I think I read somewhere too that the tie downs have to have a weight rating tag on them. So I guess a rope just won't cut it! lol get it?

The whole CVOR thing is just made to confuse people. I talked to a guy who would even do a daily log sheet for his 1 ton when really it was just personal use and he just towed a small utility trailer, but the service Ontario person didn't get what he was trying to do, he didn't get it so they just both went to the extreme. A little bit of knowledge goes a long way!

Thanks again!!

So what counts as four points of tie down? If the front skis are held by a bar, doesn't that count as two? If I get stopped, not being a dick about it, I would ask to see the rules/laws about it. As per Transport Canada's requirements for trailers, each anchor point has to hold a minimum of just 500 lbs. Most of our Yamatons exceed that. You could put a 1000 lbs. strap but the anchor likely holds less. And if you have to put two on each rear anchor, you're asking each anchor to do double duty.

If your sleds come off even with just the front bar and one rear strap properly done, it would take a lot of force to get them flying, which would mean you have bigger things to worry about. I'm all for safety but how much is too much?

So what counts as four points of tie down? If the front skis are held by a bar, doesn't that count as two? If I get stopped, not being a dick about it, I would ask to see the rules/laws about it. As per Transport Canada's requirements for trailers, each anchor point has to hold a minimum of just 500 lbs. Most of our Yamatons exceed that. You could put a 1000 lbs. strap but the anchor likely holds less. And if you have to put two on each rear anchor, you're asking each anchor to do double duty.

If your sleds come off even with just the front bar and one rear strap properly done, it would take a lot of force to get them flying, which would mean you have bigger things to worry about. I'm all for safety but how much is too much?
Boy! I'm glad I don't live in Canada. Safety is good but not that much. Here in the states I run with my front skis tied down and 1 strap in the back and I only do that so my back end doesn't move side to side.

Boy! I'm glad I don't live in Canada. Safety is good but not that much. Here in the states I run with my front skis tied down and 1 strap in the back and I only do that so my back end doesn't move side to side.

Yeah right, haul 2 nytros in an enclosed 7 x 16.6 drive in / off and usually just set the parking brakes. If I'm going a longer trek than a tie down on the rear bumper is pretty much it.

Back