• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

opinions on bearings

stevewithOCD

Yamaha, Make me Come Back
Country
USA
Snowmobile
900 R
2006 Apex RTX
Has anyone tried matching numbers & use a U.S. made bearing for drive or jack shaft? Are they any better or just a waste of time...

I know there's another post in here, but no mention if they're better or just cheaper..

Not any better...its has more to do with YAM`S poor design or type of bearing application, it should have a GREASABLE flange type system like some other makes have, but it would probably last too long! Just use a NEEDLE and inject grease in every so often, I`ve gotten good results so far.

The Yamaha bearings are made by NTN and NSK, and the bearings themselves are top quality units.

A ceramic bearing would be an upgrade, but the sizes we need are unusual and they are probably not produced in these sizes.

A "US" bearing or really any other stainless steel bearing won't make a difference. I haven't noticed a problem with my bearings, but if you are losing grease out of the seals, you could try to replace the seals instead of the whole bearing unit.

Mark

mud99 said:
but if you are losing grease out of the seals, you could try to replace the seals instead of the whole bearing unit.

Mark

We're not losing grease, its water contaminating the grease and washing out and creating rust spots...it needs to be better protected and greasable to flush out the water.

apltx08 said:
Not any better...its has more to do with YAM`S poor design or type of bearing application, it should have a GREASABLE flange type system like some other makes have, but it would probably last too long! Just use a NEEDLE and inject grease in every so often, I`ve gotten good results so far.

Needle? How does that work? The medical kind?

srxrob said:
apltx08 said:

Needle? How does that work? The medical kind?

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-7955- ... 54213.aspx

Grease injector needle available at most tool supply stores, simply slip the needle under the seal edge, attach to grease gun, and inject new grease into bearing, it works, but where you can I prefer to pull the seal off the bearing with a small pick or screwdriver and clean and repack with new grease.

stevewithOCD said:
I know there's another post in here, but no mention if they're better or just cheaper..
same quality. maybe a touch better. but way way cheaper. im not talkin about parts unlimited cheap china bearings. i am going to an actual bearing store where they say what kind do you want. i say i want the best you have and they sell me some good bearings for half or less than yamaha prices.

Back