• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Overhang question

Se7enOfMine

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha Venture RS
1996 Ski-Doo 583 MXZ
Heya all,

Got a weird question.

I have a 4.5' x 8' trailer. Previously, I had a '96 MXZ which fit perfectly. I have no obtained an '07 Venture, which is, significantly longer... in the tune of just under 11'.

My question is ... exactly how much overhang on the front and back is, for lack of a better word, acceptable? Without doing anything, im about 18" in the front and back. It was suggested to me that I could bolt down some 2x6's at the front (putting a ramp cut on the trailer portion) and having them extend out 24" over the front of the trailer. The tongue length is pretty long so Im not worried about jack knifing against the vehicle. BUT, not sure this is a great plan.

Anywho, just looking for ideas / suggestions / comments / general shaming :p EDIT: Until such time as I get another trailer, likely next year

Thanks a bunch.

In short, as long as the majority of the ski and majority of the track is on the trailer bed, you will be fine.

I thought as much but, given Im still a bit green to this area, I wasnt really sure. Awesome, ty.

I'll definitely get a bigger trailer but when I bought the sled, the length didnt make the connection to the trailer. It's in the budget for next year now :)

Just be sure you still have weight on the tongue, which could happen if you have too much weight back of the trailer wheels. This would cause dangerous whipping where the trailer would sway uncontrollably.

I would make sure on the front that the ski spindles are on the trailer bed. Front of ski can hang over but that weight bearing point should be on solid bed, unless you build an extension.

it will be fine. as long as motor ahead of axle for max tounge weight it with it on deck should be fine.

Back