• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Parts Collecting Dust, aka ( HOARDERS ANONYMOUS)

fatchance

Lifetime Member
Not sure if anyone has ever posted a thread like this but I for one have umpteen parts in boxes laying around in the garage just collecting dust. Some are brand new take offs and others are aftermarket clutching components that have been cycled through. The purpose of this thread is to find out maybe why the part has been abandoned, why you didn't like using it or in the case of clutch parts why it didn't perform like you thought it might. In the process maybe we can find these dust collectors a new home to open up space in the garage.

I just gave away a whole box of older Arctic Cat springs, weights and helix's. An older fuel pump too. Gave them to some younger guys here at work. There is even more stuff in older tool boxes.
I just came to the realization that I will never use them and got sick of staring at them. The older Cat helix's are too steep to use in the Pro-4 I have on the shelf.
I didn't dare think of how much money was sitting in that box.

A few years ago I gave two truckloads of old parts from 70s,80s, and 90s sleds to a friend that collects old sleds and parts. I easily could fill another truck load of parts that are collecting dust.

One of these days, OK maybe after I retire and have more time, I'll have to have a parts sale on eBay or something. Certainly have thousands of dollars of spare parts and trick of the week items laying around.

I have brand new take off skis from both Sidewinders that I know will never get used along with mufflers manifolds boxes of springs and a couple of those trick of the week helix. It's funny because I was looking at a list of available helix options online and I couldn't help but think of how many are just sitting in a box somewhere! Lol

I just chuckle reading these posts! Thanks, too funny. At one time I took pride in saying that I thought I had every single Cat helix that was in production from anyone. Only used a few of them. Lol. I sold most at Hay Days saying some were limited top secret production and they make your sled really fast LOL!!! I think I might of slipped up one time and told guys Mike Knapp uses these in secret!!

I can absolutely relate to this post. :sled1:

I've gotten better about putting it on Facebook marketplace and taking the first offer that they give me.

I've gotten better about putting it on Facebook marketplace and taking the first offer that they give me.
I keep telling myself I'm going to return them to stock one day so I need to save everything. Who am I kidding? I barely have the time to mod them when I want to do the work! When am I going to take the time to reverse engineer them in order to sell them! Lol

I am glad to read this. Makes me feel better about the pile of parts in my possession. I was looking at the 10- 70's vintage 440 SRX cylinders on the shelf includes a pair of 8A7 jugs and three long blocks. Then there is the old cat stuff. LOL

Maybe this thread should be re-labeled "parts hoarding support group".

I am glad to read this. Makes me feel better about the pile of parts in my possession. I was looking at the 10- 70's vintage 440 SRX cylinders on the shelf includes a pair of 8A7 jugs and three long blocks. Then there is the old cat stuff. LOL

Maybe this thread should be re-labeled "parts hoarding support group".
Haha, Good one! You do realize collectively we could be the biggest used parts inventories in the country! Lol

I have a hoarding story, but it doesn't include parts......

Like most here, I like to snowmobile....a lot. In order to support this addiction, I subscribe to 3-4 snowmobile publications per year. After reading each magazine from cover to cover I would store them in a closet. In addition, whenever shopping/trading sleds every year or two, I would always keep the sales brochures. These were thrown in the same closet with the magazines

Doing this over a span of 25-30 years led to half a dozen huge totes filled to the brim with magazines. These totes slowly took ownership of the closet, and became a nemesis for the wifey.

Over the last 10 years, she would often ask, "Why are you saving all those magazines?"

My answer, "Honey....those are like Bibles, I can't throw them away."

Last summer, she lost her cards, emptied the closet, and put all the totes in the middle of my garage. I was given the ultimatum, "Make these books disappear!!".

Due to some psychological neurosis, I COULD NOT bring myself to throw them away, they were too precious to me. So I thought, "I wonder if a vintage snowmobile collector would want these?

So, I called an acquaintance I knew a few towns north of me, who collects sleds in the 90s era and offered him the magazines. He was ecstatic and was glad to take them.

So, the following weekend, I drive up there and drop off all the books. While we are conversing he says, "What's really worth money, are the old sales brochures.".

I say, "Oh...I have a pile of those in there."

He asks, "What years?"

I reply, "Well, I bought a new sled in 96, 97, 98, 2001, 2003, 2005....etc. In addition, the years I did not buy a new sled, I still picked up and kept the sales brochure."

As we rummaged through the boxes, we found sales brochures going all the way back to 1984. He was like a kid in a candy store, which in turn brought me great joy, as I knew this collection made it's way into the right hands.

Alls well that ends well.

Back