• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

PERFORMANCE DAMPNER ON 2016 VIPER

I'd rather Yamaha fix their clutching issues and loose the dampener. Get the basics right and stop selling gimmicks... For that matter, Make a true Yamaha with the lessons learned from the CAT geometry and weight savings...

The rear is simple- drill out 2 rivits and drill 4 holes on the tunnel sides. The front you need to remove the hood and airbox and there is predrilled holes where the damper comes with brackets that bolt to the frame. I just installed these both yesterday. Not sure if the older models have the holes already drilled. Not sure if the dealer would have charged for the installation but its dissapointing that they dont come installed from the factory on these le models and i had to wait 6 weeks for them to be delivered to the dealer after i picked up the sled.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 188
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 189
If this is part of the sled it should of came installed by dealer or factory, I picked mine up end of October and it was already installed on snowmobile.its no different than the windshield. .,skis and so on

My sled came in without them. When the dampers arrived at the dealer; they put them on. No charge.

My sled came in without them. When the dampers arrived at the dealer; they put them on. No charge.
Again GOOD dealer

Pjw, How difficult is removing the air box? I have my dampers and I think for now I'm just going to install the front damper. I read your post, remove sides and hood, is there much attached to the air box? Did a search for how to didn't find anything.

Would be nice to have some pics for a airbox removal how too. If I remember right just air temp sensor is wired to it. Couple screws at front and you can just squeeze it out under radiator hose.

Pjw, How difficult is removing the air box? I have my dampers and I think for now I'm just going to install the front damper. I read your post, remove sides and hood, is there much attached to the air box? Did a search for how to didn't find anything.

It isnt too hard- remove 3 hose clamps, a sensor connector and a few hoses. Then there is a bracket with 2 torx screws holding the airbox to the radiator and then 2 torx holding the front of the airbox to the frame and the airbox should come out. Follow the instructions on installing the brackets to the damper and make sure you have the shims in correctly to offset it so the damper doesnt hit the steering stem. The angles to tighten all of the damper fasteners are not very good and you'll have to use open end wrenchs to tighten most of the connections.From start to finish id say it will take 1 hr to 90 minutes

Doesn't seem right you guys have to install them that's ridiculous. I'd take it to the dealer make him do it easy or not. Like someone said this kind of stuff separates the good dealers from the not so good ones. You spend that kind of money to put your own parts on.

In defense of my dealer, I opted to take them with me. I wasn't sold on them making a difference. Think at least the front may "reduce" vibration. I don't see how the rear will be that noticeable.

Took 6 weeks for the damper to come in after I picked up the sled- i already had the track out and the sled in pieces. By the time i make an appointment, pickup my trailer, load the sled and bring it to the dealer and wait what a week to have them installed and then have to pick it up again? Ya its just easier to do it myself. There is zero excuse why yamaha did not have these installed from the factory. The dealer said they had to make sure payment was recieved before yamaha sends the peformance dampers. Then after 5 weeks i went to the dealer and they called yamaha to ask where they were and yamaha tells them that the dampers are not for sale. I'm just considering myself lucky that I recieved them at all.

Agree, if your ordered early and they were part of the deal regardless of payment received they should have been installed from the factory. If they were factory installed when I took delivery I wouldnt have minded, since I have them in hand now I can decide if I really want to install.

Since they make the sled faster then I will install both, By installing just the front I was hoping all the push would be gone. But since doing both makes it faster then I will do both. Smoothride your post sold me!!:rolleyes:

Back