• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 OR 16.5 VIPER

How do you know what is a 16 or 16.5? I have a 16 RTX SE I just picked up in March and it says it was manufactured in May of 15. Is there a clear cutoff date between the 16's and 16.5's?
May is 16.5 I believe. Pop open the belt side cover and take a peak at the valve cover area, 1/2 circle rubber plugs = old engine, 1/2 circle casting marks = new engine.

May is 16.5 I believe. Pop open the belt side cover and take a peak at the valve cover area, 1/2 circle rubber plugs = old engine, 1/2 circle casting marks = new engine.
Thanks, not going to ever put a turbo on it, just interested to know which motor it has in it.

The easiest way is to look at the valve cover area of the engine. In the Viper forum under frequently asked question, under new sled inspection 2016.5 late build engine changes there are pictures from cannondale 27

I have the new motor in my 16, it has the 1/2 circle casting. Not ever putting a turbo on it just wanted to know for future reference. Reading a lot about the new motor it sounds like its good as long as you don't put a turbo on it. I'm ok with that! That's why I have a sidewinder.

Just spoke with evolution powersports and they said with the ecu reflash it will be pushing 9800 rpm's. they haven't seen any problems with this in the 16.5 motor. what do you think?
I think mine is clutched for about 9100rpm and have yet to see anyone document any better speeds than I have gotten. 9800 is a lot more rpm. I can see having the rev limit there but not the clutching. Just for those miraculous perfect conditions or some freak track spin off the line. If new motor with weak rods. No way I would chance it.

Mine is the newer motor unfortunately, but makes you wonder if another 3-400 rpms is gonna hurt anything, being that you don’t have the internal pressure like a turbo would

I don’t think a few hundred overstock iscan an issue but at 9800 you are around 1000 over stock and that might be OK for a rev limit but kinda high for sustained use if you actually clutched to run at 9800.

I don’t think a few hundred overstock iscan an issue but at 9800 you are around 1000 over stock and that might be OK for a rev limit but kinda high for sustained use if you actually clutched to run at 9800.
Right. I have heard them revving that high and although cool sounding as heck not worth risk.

So if I have the bad rods and now want more power what is my best option?? Change rods and install a turbo or just sell and go to a sidewinder???

Last edited:
So if I have the bad rods and now want more power what is my best option?? Change rods and install a turbo or just sell and go to a sidewinder???
SW would be cheaper overall. Depends on how much power and speed you need.

Cut your losses now. Save yourself a BUNCH of grief. And go WINDER. Never understood why people torment themselves into thinking they can build the lesser sled into the greater sled, that is already been developed and designed JUST as what they hope to acheive

Go winder if you want more speed. You will have better resale value and a sled with a factory warranty all set and ready to rock!

Back