• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Performance Exhaust

torszula

Extreme
I'm considering adding an Aaen Performance pipe and header to my Nytro. They claim an extra 14hp. I know many of you have done something like this albeit maybe not from Aaen but other performance exhaust but my questin is "is teh extra 14hp really that noticable from a performance aspect and not just a new sound"? The total csot of this project is close to $1000 so I want to be sure that it's going to be worth it. How much faster will it be from stock? Will it require higher octane fuel or a richer mixture?

Do they have dyno numbers to support such a claim??? And if they do they should tell you if fuel controller was used or not when dyno testing.

torszula

Yeah, you'll notice 14HP if done right, and on the type of fuel, it shouldn't make much difference. The need for high octane fuel is normally required for turbo/supercharged engines to eliminate detonation at high boost pressures. Will it be faster? .....that really depends....

So, if AAEN has a 14hp pipe/silencer then great.....but to echo raginyamaha's point, ask questions.
1. Can you get the dyno report? The dyno report should show you where you are gaining HP, and if well designed, it should be throughout the RPM range, not just upstairs. If you are gaining 14 hp while sitting on the rev limiter @ 9400rpm, well, you'll never see it with stock clutching, and even if you did....lets just say blown belts and a host of other problems will likely jump up and bite you. I would look at at the HP number in the 8200-8400rpm range. Anything above this is pretty useless.

2. Do you need a fuel controller? Almost without exception, if you modify an exhaust, you will lean out your A/F, thus requiring a fuel controlller to compensate. Think of it this way; More HP generally requires more fuel. Same in cars, same in sleds.

3. Clutching recommendations? Changes required.....probably.

If you want to see a great example of mods necessary when you add performance parts to a Nytro or any motor, look at Ulmer's web site. They sell performance kts. Add a header, and K&N filter, then you will need fuel controller, a specific fuel map, plugs, and clutching to get the best out of your mods,and many combinations of the above. I am sure AAEN offer the exact same thing.

At the very least, a 14 HP gain, which is awsome, is likely to need some change to the fuel map, and personally, I'd clutch it differently, because it will maximize the benefit from the new exhaust system.

My 2 cents.
OTM

I think the 14HP is an exaggeration, excell is only claiming 6-7HP on there header, the pipe itself is only good for maybe 1hp. Even with the fuel controller 14HP is gonna tough to get. No air box mods either? Sounds tough to me.

I'm just a rider and that's it! I love speed and can never seem to get enough of it but if I need to play with clutching a fuel mixtures to get it to run right then its jsut too much. Is the little bit of extra hp that you get out of a pipe noticeable on the sled? A pipe without the header will add say 5hp. Is that going to be noticeable to the rider or will it just sound different? If I don't add the header then it sounds like I don't need to worry about fuel mixture but if I do the header and the pipe then a Dyno Jet EFI Tuner is in order. And from what you guys are saying after doing that then it would be a good idea to do some clutch mods as well.

If your not going to play with the clutching and fuel mixture, then save your money. All your going to do is make more noise. JMO.

I think what the guys and I are saying, is there is no magic bullet in gaining hp.

The Nytro I am currently working on, we intend to gain maybe 10 - 12hp, if we are lucky to close in on 150HP, but guess what it's going to take:

1) Header
2) High Flow Silencer
3) Intake Modifications
4) Fuel Controller
5) Porting Head & Fuel Delivery
6) Clutch Kit

....and a few other goodies which gives us improved torque/HP across the rpm range aka "Usable Power".

The fun of the Nytro is it makes HP everywhere, making it the most user friendly plant in sledding....If you want peak hp.....a piped 2 stroke is a far better choice...right up until it goes boom...bardier!

I still have my Arctic Cat Crossfire 1000 but after riding the Nytro and notice all the benefits of the 4 stroke its difficult to want ot ride it again. teh only thing the Nytro is missing is the top end and that is why I am looking to add some more hp as painlessly as possible. teh crossfire came with 168hp off the floor so i didn't really need to do much there. Oh well, i guess if I want to race across the lake I'll just take teh AC out.

Zakre said:
I think the 14HP is an exaggeration, excell is only claiming 6-7HP on there header, the pipe itself is only good for maybe 1hp. Even with the fuel controller 14HP is gonna tough to get. No air box mods either? Sounds tough to me.

The gains are very achievable...but I don't think you will gain 14hp with the exhaust on its own...even AAEN recommends using a Power Commander with a proper map. I'm also gonna say you will need to put filters or mod the airbox aswell...the engine must breath both ways.

My sled made 14.6hp over stock with the full Hindle exhaust, Hurricane airbox mod and an RB3 mapped by Hurricane Perf...all on 87 octane....Mach9 made 18.6hp with the same mods but he did not use a noise reducer....so it is very doable but a few key items need to added to make the gains.

AAEN shows a graph on his website but It really doesn't look right to me from what mine looks like and also compared to others I've seen...but I would say his gains are very achievealbe.

shaddow44 said:
Zakre said:

The gains are very achievable...but I don't think you will gain 14hp with the exhaust on its own...even AAEN recommends using a Power Commander with a proper map. I'm also gonna say you will need to put filters or mod the airbox aswell...the engine must breath both ways.

My sled made 14.6hp over stock with the full Hindle exhaust, Hurricane airbox mod and an RB3 mapped by Hurricane Perf...all on 87 octane....Mach9 made 18.6hp with the same mods but he did not use a noise reducer....so it is very doable but a few key items need to added to make the gains.

AAEN shows a graph on his website but It really doesn't look right to me from what mine looks like and also compared to others I've seen...but I would say his gains are very achievealbe.

It says right in my post, without airbox mods its a strech, I didnt say it cant be done but i dont think 14HP from a pipe and controller is going to be the norm for guys to see is my point.

Zakre said:
shaddow44 said:
Zakre said:

It says right in my post, without airbox mods its a strech, I didnt say it cant be done but i dont think 14HP from a pipe and controller is going to be the norm for guys to see is my point.

Sorry Zakre...wifey was nagging at me when I was replying to the post...only read the first part lol.....I totally agree with you...14hp from the exhaust alone is probably not going to happen....but with complimenting mods it's very possible.

Zakre said:

Has anyone went with just a header and seen these 6-7HP results?

if its a short track you have no chance of hitting 100mph with the stated mods. the aproach angle of the track won't allow it. XTX is different story!

Back