• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer Lower Control Arm / Ball Joint Wear

np342403

Veteran
Good afternoon guys. I started to do some work on my sled to get it ready for winter and already ran across a problem.

The lower control arms (both sides) seem to be worn or the ball joints are worn because the lower control arm is actually wearing into the steering knuckle.

Has anyone seen this?? Also, do you think new ball joints would fix it or are the control arms shot?

I havent even ridden the sled yet. I picked it up this summer. Its a 2007 Yamaha Phazer MTX with only 1,000 miles.

I attached a picture too. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG00455-20110823-1655.jpg
    IMG00455-20110823-1655.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 302

the race that holds the ball joint seems to be way worn. there is a fix for that.

depending how long the previous owner ran with it like this there may be more damage.

Where are you located? NCI has copper rings for the US and Sled toys has them for canada. they fit great!

yamahas said:
the race that holds the ball joint seems to be way worn. there is a fix for that.

depending how long the previous owner ran with it like this there may be more damage.

Where are you located? NCI has copper rings for the US and Sled toys has them for canada. they fit great!

Thanks for the reply. I am located in Ohio. So I could possibly just get a copper sleeve to go outside of the ball joint?

Here is where I got mine http://sledtoyz.com/component/virtuemar ... gory_id=10

Prety much. Its acualy bronze I was mistaken but its 2 parts the replace the original sleeve.

What likely happend was the original set up has this mesh that they used to keep the sleeve tight around the ball. This wears out and then you get play between the ball and sleeve. To fix this you pull off the control arm and take the assembly out of the control arm. You then remove the ball from the sleeve (looks like yours will be easy to remove). You them put one of the halves into the control arm then the ball then any shims you may need.

Replace the snap ring and you should be good to go. This should fix it as long as there is not more damage to the control arm or spindle.

Here is another link for more info.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=89051

Hope this helps!

yamahas said:
Here is where I got mine http://sledtoyz.com/component/virtuemar ... gory_id=10

Prety much. Its acualy bronze I was mistaken but its 2 parts the replace the original sleeve.

What likely happend was the original set up has this mesh that they used to keep the sleeve tight around the ball. This wears out and then you get play between the ball and sleeve. To fix this you pull off the control arm and take the assembly out of the control arm. You then remove the ball from the sleeve (looks like yours will be easy to remove). You them put one of the halves into the control arm then the ball then any shims you may need.

Replace the snap ring and you should be good to go. This should fix it as long as there is not more damage to the control arm or spindle.

Here is another link for more info.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=89051

Hope this helps!

That helps a ton! Thanks!

My biggest concern from that picture would be how much the control arm wore into the spindle......

Well, I removed the ball joints this afternoon. The ball actually wore itself right out of the race/bushing that it rides in. So when I disassembled it, the ball came right out, however the bushing is still pressed into the lower control arm.

Any tips/tricks to removing it? I know it has to go downward, but not sure the best way to go about it.

np342403 said:
Well, I removed the ball joints this afternoon. The ball actually wore itself right out of the race/bushing that it rides in. So when I disassembled it, the ball came right out, however the bushing is still pressed into the lower control arm.

Any tips/tricks to removing it? I know it has to go downward, but not sure the best way to go about it.

Is it the outer race that is stuck in there? If so can you see it through the hole on the other side? When I took mine apart the ball was still tight enough I was able to tap it out with a mallet.

How does the spindle look?

yamahas said:
np342403 said:

Is it the outer race that is stuck in there? If so can you see it through the hole on the other side? When I took mine apart the ball was still tight enough I was able to tap it out with a mallet.

How does the spindle look?

I can place the ball back into the race from the top side. I did this and tried to hammer the race out the bottom side of the control arm (where the retaining clip sits), but it wouldnt move at all. I gave it a few good hits too. I can see the race from the bottom after I removed the retaining clip. It appears to be close to stock thickness. The race wore on the top half only.

The spindles are definitely worn, but not enough to jeopardize the integrity of them in my opinion.

You "should" be able to pass a socket (or pipe/round stock) through the top and catch the bottom radius to tap/press it out. Worst case scenario, have somebody weld a couple beads on the inside of the race (obviously don't want to weld it in there though ;)! ). When the race/welds cool, it will likely fall out.

Update: The local Yamaha dealership replaced the ball joints AND both steering knuckles for free! Fantastic customer service. The service rep actually called Yamaha and discussed the issue and Yamaha replaced the steering knuckles under their "goodwill program."

That's good news for you! Now keep an eye on the ball joints and when they wear out the next time, you can consider the NCI fix.

np342403 said:
Update: The local Yamaha dealership replaced the ball joints AND both steering knuckles for free! Fantastic customer service. The service rep actually called Yamaha and discussed the issue and Yamaha replaced the steering knuckles under their "goodwill program."
Excellent, really good to hear stories like that - that is an expensive job!

ps. Sorry I don't know all the terminology yet, what are the knuckles? Is that the piece that holds the ball and attaches to the A-arm or is it the ski spindle?
thanks

np342403 said:

that's great, and I would too if I were Yamaha, that's a HUGE liability for them if you had gotten into an accident because of those. Kudos to your dealer too, not many will do leg work like that.

BombaPolaYama said:
np342403 said:
Excellent, really good to hear stories like that - that is an expensive job!

ps. Sorry I don't know all the terminology yet, what are the knuckles? Is that the piece that holds the ball and attaches to the A-arm or is it the ski spindle?
thanks

Yes, that is the silver colored piece that connects the a-arms to the skis. Check out the picture in my first post.

I am a happy Yamaha customer as of now! :Rockon:

Back