• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer snow buildup issues and pics

Y_Rider

Extreme
Rode about 60Km on Sat in 3 to 5 feet of powder. There was so much ice build up in the footwells you couldn't get your feet under the toe holds. Kept having to stop and break it out. A lot on the tunnel at the back but not really a big problem.

Handles great in the deep stuff. As good as the REV. No issues at all other than the ice buildup. Amazing performance for 500cc.
:jump:

Attachments

• 2006-11-25 5.JPG
    2006-11-25 5.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 390
  • 2006-11-25 1.JPG
    2006-11-25 1.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 352

I'll just keep my Rage..thats one thing I like is my footwells NEVER get icey!

We bought 2 of the mountain lites for the kids. We had them out this weekend. I took them for a few "test rides" when the kids would let me. Everything was good with the exception of the ice build up. We had the same problems. Was not haveing that problem with my Apex in the same conditions.

I am near completed with my solution to the hole in the tunnel. I think it will work great and look great. It is def. better than yamaha's tunnel panels. Yamaha should have done what I'm doing factory. I'll have pics up hopefully by wednesday night.

I was told by many yamaha shops that it was designed so the cold snow hit the hot exhaust and helped to keep the air flowment free. I don't completely understand it but I was told "thermodynamics". I have heard of similar ideas on high horsepower diesel racers (I work in the diesel industry). The engines run hot and when the exhaust got hot it started to constrict flow. I have seen water kits that spray cold water on the exhaust for tractor that do tractor pulls.

checkman39 said:
I was told by many yamaha shops that it was designed so the cold snow hit the hot exhaust and helped to keep the air flowment free. I don't completely understand it but I was told "thermodynamics". I have heard of similar ideas on high horsepower diesel racers (I work in the diesel industry). The engines run hot and when the exhaust got hot it started to constrict flow. I have seen water kits that spray cold water on the exhaust for tractor that do tractor pulls.
I think they did it to make it *look* cool. The RX and RS models have snow-from-track cooled exhaust systems too, but everything is sealed to the underside. Snow doesn't come through.

Y_Rider said:
Rode about 60Km on Sat in 3 to 5 feet of powder. There was so much ice build up in the footwells you couldn't get your feet under the toe holds.

Exact same last weekend. After awhile though, I couldnt sit down either, my snowpants had SOOO much ice on them, it was like sitting on a solid block ice with no gear.

I am anxious to see peoples idea for covering the hole. I was thinking a mesh or a screen of some kind.

-Steve

Talking of snow buildup when it's cold and lot of powder, it will happend on any sled...

Attachments

• DSC01399.JPG
    DSC01399.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 331
But on your sled the snow will melt after a while cause of coolers under running boards. Also if you leave your sled to the day after like that you only have to let it idle a while till it get warm and then most of the ice would slip from the tunnel. That is not the case with the phazer. On this you will have to use a hammer and a ice hack if you want the track to spin without destroying it...

I have had many different sled over the years but never experienced anything like this before.

I had that problem on my 97 phazer (fan cooled so no coolers under the running boards). All I ever did was just knock the ice off everyonce and a while. Not a big deal.

I talked to the chief mechanic at my dealer this morning as he has racked-up some miles on his 07 Mtn Lt. The hole in the top of the tunnel is definately for cooling of the exhaust. He says that because of this motor, it runs hot, really hot! He is running a custom STRAIGHT PIPE on his, and even he admits that it's way too loud, but may leave it until he gets moved all the way to the back of the pack due to noise. The straight pipe on his is starting to show heavy heating on the shields under the seat. Basically, the answer was NO, don't cover the hole or there is potential for a melt-down under the seat.

His experience also led him to think the running board snow was coming up from the front and sides of the sled and freezing, not from the tunnel. The footwell ice is a problem on this model since there is no heat there, but he says he just stops every-so-often and knocks it off. :o|

Back