• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer suspension setup procedure.

SpeedRacer8888 said:
Can anyone comment on good/bad experiences with Schmidt Brothers rear suspension re-valving and the softer progressive rear spring?

I was wondering the same thing? Anyone out there done this?

forestcity said:
SpeedRacer8888 said:
Can anyone comment on good/bad experiences with Schmidt Brothers rear suspension re-valving and the softer progressive rear spring?

I was wondering the same thing? Anyone out there done this?

X3

Next season I was thinking of doing this and putting an Axis shock in the rear. Found the front rides pretty good but the rear SUCKS. Considering we have 16" of rear travel I can't believe how poorly these Phazers ride in the back.

I'm sure a bunch of you are thinking I am nuts and the Phazer rear rides fine..... But... from what I have read anyone who has a nice riding Phazer had to lots of adjusting, or re-valving or shock replacements etc.

Its just too bad Yammi cannot get a skid to ride nice out of the box. Fronts have never seemed to be a problem. Even in the TSS days the front ends rode nice (for average riding and trail cruising).

So ANYWAY, yeah has anyone tried the Schmidt center shock re-valve & progressive spring?

What are clicker adjustments is that the S M H adjustments on triangle block if so what place do you guys set yours.

I had my rear shock revalved/rebuilt this year by Ian at Monster Performance as it was leaking oil . What a night and day difference, doesnt even feel like the same sled. I am running the Hygear Torsion Spacers with the revalved/rebuilt rear shock and at "S" or soft setting on block. I have the rear shock on the softest clicker compression setting and it will bottom once in a while. Also stock torsion springs and I am 185 lbs. with all gear. Give Ian a call he will hook you up with a sweet shock deal, he said he is not a big fan of the stock Yamaha rear and center valving on the Phazers. Next year I am going to deal with the center shock that feels like a"pogo stick" shock.
http://www.monsterperf.com

yam 177

yam I read the post that rukus dragged over here and was wondering if when you placed washers in upper ball joint did it tighten up the joint or just add to strength of spindle.Also does anyone know if mtx centre shock is rebuildable or revalveable

First of all, people REALLY need to be honest about how they ride and THEN tune the suspension to match that. Its either going to work good in studders OR big G bumps, not both. Guys that setup for trails with studder bumps SHOULD expect it to bottom out on Big G bumps. Like wise if its setup NOT to bottom out its gunna feel "stiff" on washboards and studders. YES there is ways to try and get the sled to do both but it will never excel at both types of bumps. Pick which ability you really want the most then try to find a happy spot between the two. Granted you can get mega buck shocks/springs but that still requires you to stop the sled and tweak a bunch of setting which is something I personally don't want to have to do while riding with a group.

Maybe I am just used to little stuff but mine does work great on big and little stuff and only adjusting to rear shock and springs I did was turn clicker a few clicks and spring to soft right when I got it.Never since.Stock setup was just as you describe except in order to stop bottoming spring was to the max and then rebound would spring me off like a mule.I guess in really small bumps it was okay but so is the new shock.

Re: yam 177

kodak said:
yam I read the post that rukus dragged over here and was wondering if when you placed washers in upper ball joint did it tighten up the joint or just add to strength of spindle.Also does anyone know if mtx centre shock is rebuildable or revalveable

Strength to the spindle. probably not a major issue unless u are real hard on stuff

Like was said before you have to be HONEST about how you ride. I can tell you my race sled is not a comfortable ride when I go slow with new people or family. but man does it work when pushed!

Be honest how you want the sled to ride and set it up accordingly

Like mine, its still a work in progress. I have a 13.25" fox float in the center position HOPING to make it dual purpose. I picked it up for 150$ off a guy that had it in a skidoo with an SC4 skid and totalled the sled 200 miles later. It's valved too stiff for my liking but I HOPE after a re-valve it will work like I want, GREAT in the studder bumps and it should build up enough pressure to cushion the last inch or two of travel before it bottoms on G bumps and remove the harsh jarring the stock shock and spring had. It should work well as the front arm hits the rubber bump stops with just under 1/4" of travel left in the shock so it shouldn't have as bad of a rebound bounce that a float that's allowed to bottom all the way does. I'm going to wait on the re-valve until I pick up a Fox Zero Pro for the rear position and test the combo.

I don't know what's up with all this honest stuff I think everyone is loking to find how to make there phazer ride and handle like it should have from stock weather you race your sled or use it to break paths. No groomed trails where i'm to if I want to ride a path I got to beat my way through and want my sled to help as much as can be expected.

Weapon X said:
Both my shocks are at schmidt right now I'll let you know how it rolls when I get them back.

How did this turn out for you? Did you get the progressive spring for the center shock?

Just remembered this thread and am curious

I got it done feels more softer and slower reacting but i turned up my X-clicks in the back to real hard I really have no complaints over there setup or valving.

This thread has been idle for quite a while, but it seems to be the best place for these questions (and a benefit to us amature trail riders), so I'm opening it back up.

I'm trying to figure out some basic rear suspension tuning questions that I can't seem to find the answers to (I'm not trying to get anyone to give out their race tune, just basics).

I'm trying to figure out what the front shock controls vs. the rear shock (on the rear suspension)?

For a heavier rider do I just increase the spring preload on the torsion springs? If I increase preload on the torsion springs, do I need to also increase preload on the front shock spring? What does spring preload on the front shock affect?

Does the compression adjustment on the rear shock just affect compression of the rear suspension (ie. increase for heavier rider/smoother trails)?

Everyone says to shorten the limiter strap (which I have done) to get more ski pressure, and get their shocks revalved, but not sure how the different shocks/springs affects the behavior of the rear suspension for fine tuning.

Anyone care to share their experiences?

Thanks,
Kenton

Back