• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer Windshield Screws

biffdotorg

VIP Member
Website
www.biff.org
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Apex XTX and Viper LTX SE
WEBSITE
www.biff.org
So I just finished up making a custom nosecone and windshield for my daughter. Now I go to install them and the one windshield screw seems to be stripped.

3 of the 4 back out easily and the one just spins. I tapped on it with a hammer, I put some pressure on the windshield from the back, but cannot seem to back that screw out.

Any suggestions? I think the plastics look good though.

Thanks for the help.

[video width=640 height=360]http://www.youtube.com/v/taPJ7vFjuSI[/video]

The screw is threaded into a rubber expanding nut which expands when you tighten the screw down. Try pulling out on the windshield enough that you can try and grab the rubber with a needle nose pliers and see if that works. Otherwise you might just have to cut the screw off and push what's left of the rubber expanding nut into the round tube on the windshield mount and get a new expanding nut. You should be able to buy them at a local hardware store if you don't mind putting a SAE screw in instead of a metric one.

Thanks for the tip Yamraider.

I did look at the parts diagram on Yamaha's site. It is exactly what you said, some sort of expanding nut in each tube.

I may just have to pull the whole thing and buy a new nut. It's frustrating as I wanted to get that new windshield on for her. That, and I don't care to scratch up the paint on the backside of the windshield I did for myself that is on there now.

Thanks again guys!

i had to do exactly what yamraider said by grabbing the backside with a needle nose pliers. (all 4 on mine) sprayed the threads good with lube when i got them out too

good luck biff

I painted the back of my windshield with krylon black, when it got cold and the windshield flexed some it started to crack then eventually flaked off in spots...

Tried limo tint on it next (a bitch to do btw) that got cold and peeled up real easy (even with clear nail polish around the edges)-
Ended up buying a totally different 'shield from Yamaha and my buddy CNC 'copied' a set or 2 of the factory mounting brackets from aluminum then I had 'em PC'd black.

Done messing with it, LOL..... :die

I went to grab that rubber with a needlenose pliers last night to find that the rubber was not spinning at all.

But the screw kept turning. I'm at a loss as to what the screw was supposed to grab. My guess is the lower portion of that expanding nut separated from the upper rubber portion.

It's an odd situation as I don't care to break my custom windshield trying to just pull it out, or trying to cut the head off. Maybe I have to drill it out. It's all goofy. It's holding just fine, I may have to just give up on swapping the shield. Macy will be bummed.

Thanks guys,

The metal insert that the screw threads into probably separated from the rubber insert. You can see if it will just pull out, maybe? or if it doesn't pull out easy you can try and drill the head of the screw off. Just hold the outer edge of the screw with a needle nose and take a sharp drill bit on low speed and slowly drill thru the middle of the screw until the head comes off. Also probably have someone pour water while you drill so you don't melt the plastic windshield...been there done that. Oops :o|

The metal part inside must have come loose. It happened to me so I just took my windshield off completely and I like it better that way lol.

If you hold the rubber part tight will it hold the metal part inside?

Back