• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazers -- what to watch out for...?

G-ball

Extreme
Fellas:

Looking into a Phazer for the girlfriend. A couple of 07's and an 08. Gimmie the low down on what is good and what to watch out for .... I have a Nytro, but no idea when it comes to the Phazers.

Any help is great! .... (and then I have a whole new area of TY to poke through too!!)

;)!

I would watch out for trees, cars, , rocks and other snowmobilers.

The only thing I would be concerned about if I was buying used, would be how often the oil has been changed. Phazers have pretty high strung motors, but I think (hope) that if they get proper maintenance, they should last a long time.

Sorry, it was the first thing that came to mind when I read the post!
I would be sure that the updates/recalls were all done. Mainly ball joints, fan update, cold start kit, rear link. Also if the starter is been fixed/replaced. I'm sure i'm missing some stuff so other people can chime in too.

Stick more to an 08 sled, 07s arnt bad its just a 1st year sled thing but if its still got a warranty you should be fine. Watch out for deer to, they total these sleds out pretty fast, believe me.

Joe

I'm going to assume that since you are posting on the phazer mountain forum you are interested specifically in an mtx.

It depends on the conditions you ride in but I'm surprised the mtx is so often thought of as a sled for women and children. I understand that it has only 80 horsepower, so people may think it is good for beginners based on that. But in my opinion this sled is a poor choice for women and children that will be using it in anything other than fresh light powder. On trails and firm conditions it is very top heavy and tippy, and takes a lot of muscle and effort to turn at slow speeds. If the rider isn't very alert and proactive, the tippiness will punish them. Also, once the sled is tipped over, it is going to be very hard for someone without substantial upper body strength to get back upright. In the meantime the handlebars will be bent and the oil will be draining into the airbox. It is a 4 stroke. Although lighter than other 4 strokes, it is still heavy. I like my mtx a lot and would buy it again. But if I were buying something for a wife or child I would look for something lighter and lower and easier to turn. Just because a sled won't go 100 mph doesn't mean it is a good beginner sled. If the rider is only going 30 mph but can't keep the sled upright or doesn't have the strength to turn it then it isn't the right choice. I guarantee you that outside of powder riding most women are going to have real problems turning this sled at low speed.

Some other things to be aware of are: The sled has no storage. Zero. The handwarmers are hit or miss on these sleds. Some guys say they work great. Many people (such as myself) find that they work intermittently. Frostbitten fingers can sour the riding pretty quick. The track is garbage. Mine was already missing lugs at 800 miles and almost all of them are cracked or broken. So try to find out what condition the track is in on any sled you consider.

The mtx is a really fun sled anywhere you take it. But I would only recommend it for someone who is very active on the sled when trail riding and strong enough to wrestle the handle bars around in tight spots.

All good points to consider .... except that you have never seen the pipes on my girlfriend!! She puts me to shame .... (but yah for me!! ;)!)

And I never said anything about her being a "begginer" ... she's been riding my old MM700 for the last two years ... just wants something newer, reverse and electric start. I think she will need a few rides to get used to the "feel" of the higher centre of gravity, as did I going from my Summit to the Nytro. In fact, she was having trouble getting that MM to lean over to power through the pow pow .... I think she'll like this.

We bought an 07 MTX with 1400 km on it .... track looks perfect, grips seem to get hot. Has a storage bag on the rear. It was a 13 year old boy's ride that his father bought him ..... he is getting something lighter and "flatter" as he doesn't have the weight or strength to toss it around. At keast I know he didn't jump the crap out of it.

..... she tells me now I have to add some pink bling to it ..... should have bought the ring, it might have been cheaper .....

Thanks fellas for all the in-put.

My girlfriend has been riding her 08 since new, finds that on hard pack trails it is a pain to turn, but other than that loves how easy it is to flick back and forth in some nice soft pow! She wanted it for the same reasons (elec start, reverse, and lighter than most old heavy sleds) she can lift up off its side if needed. ALtho last weekend because of its "tippyness" she did have it fall on its side with her under it, well her hand was. Shattered her thumb, bone surgeon visit on monday and riding season over! oh well hopefuly next year is better. IM sure your wife will love it, will take some time getting used to it tho!

Back