• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Please help...exhaust donuts swap issues

Snowman35

Extreme
Country
USA
i have come to a cross roads in the part of the exhaust donuts diy where the Allen key bolts are located in two areas. Underneath gas tank under grommit are stripped/rusted. Second areas are the exhaust donut boots Allen's are beat up. What can I possibly do besides the usual retraction techniques? Thank you in advance for your help....all was going well till this point..need help.

Attachments

• IMG_4437.JPG
    IMG_4437.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_4439.JPG
    IMG_4439.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 131

Mine did the same thing. I read in one of the DIY threads to heat up the head and pound a square drive into allen hole, worked for me.

Heat is your friend. Get the hanger bolts cherry red, tap in the allen headed socket and they should spin right out.
As for the flex pipe clamp bolt, heat is also needed. If the head are stripped out on the just cut the bolt with a dremel or cut off tool. You are going to need new bolts anyways.
I replace mine allen headed bolts on the pipe hanger with a 13mm headed bolt. Much easier to remove.

I have drilled the two button head allen screw heads off, drilled all the rivets holding the U-bracket to the underside of tunnel in order to get it along with Y-pipes out of the sled. This means removing the exhaust to do that tho. Then you can grab the remainder of the threads sticking out of the nut with vice grips and work it back and forth to get them out using penetrating fluid of course. I replace with a flanged hex head bolt instead of a allen button head.
Good luck

I have drilled the two button head allen screw heads off, drilled all the rivets holding the U-bracket to the underside of tunnel in order to get it along with Y-pipes out of the sled. This means removing the exhaust to do that tho. Then you can grab the remainder of the threads sticking out of the nut with vice grips and work it back and forth to get them out using penetrating fluid of course. I replace with a flanged hex head bolt instead of a allen button head.
Good luck

Does that require dropping the skid and getting track out of the way....I was hoping not to do those things?

Heat is your friend. Get the hanger bolts cherry red, tap in the allen headed socket and they should spin right out.
As for the flex pipe clamp bolt, heat is also needed. If the head are stripped out on the just cut the bolt with a dremel or cut off tool. You are going to need new bolts anyways.
I replace mine allen headed bolts on the pipe hanger with a 13mm headed bolt. Much easier to remove.
In terms of removing flex pipe clamp bolts where can I just cut them...will I be able to slavge the clamp at least?

Then replace with stainless bolts bought from menards. I also used a hex head instead of an allen head.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Does that require dropping the skid and getting track out of the way....I was hoping not to do those things?

I have just dropped the rear axle to let the skid drop out of the way, leave the front swing arm installed. I use a sled lift so it gives you the room to get sufficient clearance to work

I removed the upper bogies, and unbolted the rear pivot arm uptop. Place a ratchet strap between the front and rear arms to simplify reassembly. Much easier with strap than without. Made that mistake the very 1st time I ever did the exhaust donuts.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I put allen key in AND torqued together with Vise grips. Those F-ing button cap screws are the reason I changed my exhaust bolts on my SideWinder. I drilled out every rivet on the Apex bracket and took it all out. 10 I think. Once out I was able to get those bitches out. I reinstalled the bracket with stainless bolts and nylocks. Replaced button cap screws hanging exhaust with hex heads - only used 6, no problems since. 5000 miles on those donuts and still good. Just resolve to do it and you'll get it.

Back