• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Plugs fouling out tech tip

yam177

TY 4 Stroke Master
Website
www.jbeurotech.com
Ok I am a Auto Tech by Trade so when my sled first fouled the plugs, the last thing I wanted was to take the tank off. SO just like a BMW v8 or Audi v6 that is prone to fouling plugs. If you remove the fuel pump connector and crank it over it will clean the cylinders out. Then just plug the pump back in and it fires right off.

Hope this helps!!

Great idea for a trail side fouling..... thanks for the tip..... my dealer also told me on these phazers, dont ever shut it off until it idles down to 1700 rpm or whatever your slow idle is...

Your dealer knows from experience that You cant change your plugs as fast as he can. he's had lots of practice because people dont listen and just call when there sled wont run after they moved it two feet to sweep the garage. ha ha Merry Christmas

i believe that its caused by the motor not being hot enough to burn the left over gas that injects after the spark turns off when u turn it off. atleast that was the answer polaris tech gave us at my old job for the FSTs. they had the same problem. they also came out with a new plug with a fatter ceramic tip around the electrode, almost filling in the entire tip of the plug. it was so that nothing could get up there and later drip down to the electrode after shut down.

Not 100% sure but I believe if you give it full throttle while cranking injectors will also not fire.Easy way to do it.Remember just because pump runs doesnt mean the injectors are allowing fuel into intake.

cannondale27 said:
Not 100% sure but I believe if you give it full throttle while cranking injectors will also not fire.Easy way to do it.Remember just because pump runs doesnt mean the injectors are allowing fuel into intake.

I realize that LOL my point is holding wide open only reduces pulse width not eliminates it. Engine also cranks slower do to added air and stress. Trust me started many flood cars from owner pulling it out of the garage and shutting it off. Also when I did the same stupid thing on my sled holding it wide open did not work so I got out my Scope and I could see the injectors still pulsing. So I pulled the fuel pump connector cleaned her out and fires right up. This should help someone who gets stuck on the side of the trail

Just so we are all perfectly clear... you are talking about lifting off the seat and disconnecting power to the fuel pump on the top of the tank, correct? I just want to be sure that people do NOT disconnect the fuel line and then power up the pump and spray gas everywhere.

RedPhazer said:
Just so we are all perfectly clear... you are talking about lifting off the seat and disconnecting power to the fuel pump on the top of the tank, correct? I just want to be sure that people do NOT disconnect the fuel line and then power up the pump and spray gas everywhere.

Yup you got it right LOL should have made that clear!!!

Cool idea...I haven't ran into that situation yet. Instead of pulling the seat to disconnect the fuel pump connector, would it be easier to pull the relay or fuse for the fuel pump, and save time that way?

I've never looked that closely at it, so I am not sure which way would be easier.

Rick

Wasnt sure whether full throttle cranking stopped fuel or not thanks for informing me.Hope I never need that trick.

yam177 said:
Maybe I have a cordless impact two bolts for the seats VS all those stupid 5 MM allens for the chaincase side......
You carry a cordless impact with you on the trail? Where???

Not being critical, maybe just a little jealous. :dunno:

In any case, you're right the two bolts are quicker and you don't have to fool around getting at the relay once you do get the side cover off.

Great tip ;)!

SledderSteve said:
yam177 said:
Maybe I have a cordless impact two bolts for the seats VS all those stupid 5 MM allens for the chaincase side......
You carry a cordless impact with you on the trail? Where???

Not being critical, maybe just a little jealous. :dunno:

In any case, you're right the two bolts are quicker and you don't have to fool around getting at the relay once you do get the side cover off.

Great tip ;)!

No but my race trailer has cordless impacts and generators lights all that fun stuff. It just happened to happen near my trailer and I was being lazy ;). Not that those bolts are hard to get to with a regular wrench!!!

BTW no shortage of tools I am an auto tech.

Back