• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Plugs fouling out tech tip

I thought fouled plugs were one of the reasons people hated 2 strokes? Looking at a Phazer later today but am hesitant after reading all these fouled 4 stroke posts.

chitownpete said:
I thought fouled plugs were one of the reasons people hated 2 strokes? Looking at a Phazer later today but am hesitant after reading all these fouled 4 stroke posts.

Most of it is user stupidity at least mine was!!!! These sleds have to warm up and they run rich cold just like a car. If you drive them a few feet cold and shut them off well you have problems. Car do this all the tyime as well People pull them out for the garage to get the snowblower out then pull them back in and then they won't start

THANK YOU. I went for my first ride today and the sled would not start. I tried full throttle cranking and it didn't do it. I read your post and disconnected the pump and she fired right up. You saved my day!

My plugs fouled today and I was just gonna unload and ride so I remembered your trick took the seat off unplugged the pump ,cranked over the motor for a bit but it never worked after so I changed the plugs after and she fired up.

Did you plug the pump in after cranking?? Sometimes you have to pull it in and out while holding the throttle wide open it will go takes some time though

chitownpete said:

raptor 700s do it all the time as well, and with my yfz jetted rich, it too will sometimes foul if i dont run it for more than 5 or 6 minutes.

Had this happen to our 07 Phazer today, trying this method right now and not working ! Even the battery died while trying to get it started... :o| Had the cold start update and new plugs done last month and this sled is STILL not starting the way it should. I now have the battery on boost with a portable charger, just waiting for a better charge and gonna try it again. I can smell gas while it turns over, so my guess is it's flooded beyond and needs new plugs, dealer is over 125 kms away, just f'n GREAT !!! #$%&* #$%&* #$%&* #$%&* #$%&* #$%&* #$%&* #$%&* #$%&*

OH, did I mention that I took the day off work today so I could stay home because of this piece of crap ?!?!?

THANKS YAMAHA ;)!

Well, I FINALLY got the sled started later yesterday morning. I let the battery charge up for a bit, turned the sled over several times with the fuel pump unplugged, then plugged it back in, but still no go !!!! Frustrated to the point where I wanted to burn the damn thing right then and there, I began to shake the sled side to side while turning over the key, and whaddya know, it backfired and caught for a split second ! A dozen more attempts and a few flicks of the throttle and it RUNS !!! For the rest of the day, the sled started fine and we rode 150 kms in total that day, go figure ?!?!?! :drink:

Thanks for the pointer yam177 ;)!

Back