• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Polaris ProX (Pro X) Install in 2003 RX-1 Shorty

rgextreme1998

Veteran
Got it done using the jbshocks measurements.

We used electrical box plates riveted to the inside of the tunnel for the front mounts. Note when you rivet those in be sure the arm can pivot or you will end up moving your rivets. The rear mounts were about 5 x 5 1/4 inch aluminum secured by 1/4 inch stainless steel bolts.

Some small issues we ran into - the front mount bolts end up being right by an aluminum piece so you need to hammer that in somewhat to be able to get the bolt in from outside the tunnel.

Also for the rear measurement (Jb shocks says 5 3/8 " down from the top of the tunnel) we ended up going only 5 inches down because the bolt would've ended up being right on the crease.

Other than that, it wasn't too bad, just the usual wrestling and fiddling to get the rear bolts in.

I took it around the yard a couple times so it's a little too early to tell but the suspension action seems to be fine. Note with the Pro x you do get a couple inches sag when you sit on it. That's normal - you will see a lot of posts about that.

rg

Attachments

• IMG_9834 (Large).JPG
    IMG_9834 (Large).JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_9833 (Large).JPG
    IMG_9833 (Large).JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_9835 (Large).JPG
    IMG_9835 (Large).JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_9837 (Large).JPG
    IMG_9837 (Large).JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 150

<<<Note with the Pro x you do get a couple inches sag when you sit on it. That's normal - you will see a lot of posts about that>>>

Actually, if everything is right, and the sled is doing this while sitting on a flat surface, you can dial this out of it and be way further ahead for it with regards to weight transfer and proper front/center/rear weight distribution. You don't have to live with Thatt. Mine has absolutely none of this going on. It amounts to the front skid spring not carrying it's fair share of the load, or the rear not strong enough to carry it by itself, depending on how you want to look at it. It can be dialed out by lowering the front skid mounting point.

Figuring about how much to lower it isn't that bad, be glad to give you a hand with that if you're interested. Here or via PM.

Other than that, nice install! I KNOW you're going to like it once you get it sorted out! -Al

lower the front hole by 7/8 of an inch, it makes the prox even better than it is. Once you get it figured out as to what everything does, it is an awesome skid. Maxdlx

The 7/8" is what a lot of the ProX guys are doing, and it may be very close on this one, but to be sure, it WILL depend on the height THIS front end is running at!

That 7/8" does not work for all of the ProX guys, it's not completely universal to the skid. The guys with the taller front ends have the best luck with it. The guys with the lower front ends, maybe those set up for hard play through the woods, don't care for that move at all..... it can turn those sleds into rocking horses for them.

Not that I think that's what will happen here. To do it right though, to establish what this sled needs to be at, the sled needs to be blocked up, front and rear, at the height it's normally run at. THEN you can determine exactly where that front mount should go. FWIW

When I had a Fusion I did the same thing, Lowering the front mount about 1 inch did good for bump riding, Messed with handling a little but rode better, ended up returning to stocj hole. The rear mount lowering 1 inch did much better gave more ski bite and rocked better of bumps/weight transfer. Play with it and see where you like it.

Great skid, should be great with your set up. Way better then what was there.

Thanks a lot, guys. I will see how she works in the snow. Kinda hard to tune it on the grass right now!

Has anyone put a front wheel kit on it? If so, does it take the regular edge brackets?

thanks,

rg

Brackets are the same, but the wheels are a little bigger? 1/4" maybe?

As you mentioned, kinda hard to tune in the grass/dirt. When you get to that point, if that front end feels a little heavy (darty), or the sled doesn't want to transfer right (spinning like crazy out of the hole), this is the issue....

I lowered mine the 7/8 inch and only needed to take some center shock spring out of it and suck the limiters up to get the steering back to what it was. The ride was 10 times better. Maxdlx

Results - Front carbide wear question

Ok guys so I finally got a chance to try it out. I put about 120 miles on it so far. I really like the ride of it. The front end does seem a little heavy and the steering a little hard. But no darting at all. A really solid feel and predictable handling.

So..the question. I put about 20 miles on with bad carbides. Then, I bought and installed some el cheapo Riders Choice 4 inch carbides (4 for my simmons skis). I have the skis shimmed about 1/4 inch.

I put on about 80 miles and the friggin front carbides are almost all worn off!! And I was barely going on any asphalt.

What I am wondering is if these are just crap carbides or do I have too much pressure on the front skis? I have 2005 rx1 front shocks set up for no pre load. I loosened the limiter strap about a nuts worth to be fully extended. I can't go much looser there.

Just wondering what your thoughts are. If it wasn't for the carbide wear, I was going to leave it alone I liked it so much.

thanks for your input!!!

where is the limiter straps set, and how much front spring preload in the skid. This is where lowering the front by 7/8 inch can help it takes ski preasure away. maxdlx

Maybe a combination of too much weight on the skis, and junk carbides?

Where are you at regarding front skid spring preload?

If the preload doesn't do it, this thing is still squatting in the back, and you haven't dropped the front mount down yet, I agree, think thats worth a try too.

Funny - I was just dinking with my sled regarding a heavy front end. Drives fine, but after an all day trip I'm pretty much whipped. Just returned, minutes ago, from a test run after adding about an inch of threads worth of preload to the front skid spring. Noticable difference, going to leave it like that for a few more runs to allow for some different conditions. If I leave it like this, I have so much transfer I'm going to need to pull up my limiters....

Keep me posted, OK? -Al

ahicks said:
Maybe a combination of too much weight on the skis, and junk carbides?

Where are you at regarding front skid spring preload?

If the preload doesn't do it, this thing is still squatting in the back, and you haven't dropped the front mount down yet, I agree, think thats worth a try too.

Funny - I was just dinking with my sled regarding a heavy front end. Drives fine, but after an all day trip I'm pretty much whipped. Just returned, minutes ago, from a test run after adding about an inch of threads worth of preload to the front skid spring. Noticable difference, going to leave it like that for a few more runs to allow for some different conditions. If I leave it like this, I have so much transfer I'm going to need to pull up my limiters....

Keep me posted, OK? -Al

Guys i feel like an arse. I was looking at the front steel hard wear pads. Not the carbide itself. they are fine, not down to the steel at all. I will still check the front spring preload and let you know. Put about notoher 20 miles on today. fileed up last night. 14.76 mpg. Not bad!

Lowered front bolt hole 1 inch

And there is a noticeable difference. Less sag. Much smoother action to the skid. I loosened the front shock spring a bit and tightened the limiters a bit too. I think its dialed in now. Definitely if you are mounting the pro x, put that front bolt hold at least an inch down from the jb shocks measurements. thanks

Make sure you aren't banging the underside of the tunnel with the track. On the yamaha sleds the measurements should be from the bottom of the tunnel protectors, not the tunnel. Just something to watch. Paul

Back