• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Possible transfer control rod issue

Super Sled

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Summit X
Hey all. I'm not sure what to do about this one. The turning portion of my transfer control rod will still turn both ways even when I tighten the lock nut/ locking collar as tight as it will go, even with a screw driver and hammer. I noticed it started last spring. It used to tighten up well after adjustment with the locking collar, so it would no longer turn. But now the locking collar won't tighten enough to stop it from turning.... Any thoughts on this? I am one to constantly tinker with the transfer rod often, even several times on a ride testing various settings. It also doesn't seem to unscrew itself during rides, as some have experienced. Oh, and it still screws in and out fine and works, other than the locking collar no longer performs it's locking function. It's bizarre.

:o|

:Rockon:

steve barber said:
threads must be worn out. its alum right?

How's about this tho: the collar will tighten down tight. But the transfer rod will still turn. I don't think it's the threads. But thanks!

This one has me sort of stumped!

take it apart then sounds like the internal threads in the barrel are worn or are you saying the smaller steel rod that comes out of the end that turns

If I were you, I'd replace wht ever turns out to bethe worn parts. I just had to replace a track because that adjustng piece came loose and the bar broke in half. It wore a groove through the center of the track, breaking most o the fiberglass reinforcing rods in half.

as above.... pull apart, i'm sure threads are messed up... aluminum is funny that way... i've had stuff tighten up nice and free, once alittle load, thread "jump" themselves...

Threads might be gulled up, Aluminum will wear out relatively quickly in this application. Other possibility may be that the surface that the lock ring "locks" against is worn. Since all the locking ring does is provide resistance to rotation buy contacting the barrel surface, it comes down to surface area of contact as to how well the locking ring will hold. If that area is reduced buy wear or some other reaction, the holding force will be reduced. You may be able to machine down the end of both the barrel and the ring just enough to bring back the original cross-section. Just a W.A.G., but maybe worth looking in to.

Thx a ton guys. Ya, Ill try to open it up to see if it's shot, but may be. It still makes it tougher to turn, but doesn't stop it from turning, if that makes sense. Maybe I'll just have to start looking for a new one tho :-(

Well guys I removed the rod, opened it up, took it apart, and cleaned everything well. The threads looked good, not stripped. Then put all back together and reinstalled. And ya know what? It works like new again, lol! So I guess it just needed some servicing. But the threads were good. Vim thinking gravel was in there preventing the locking collar from locking flush against the transfer adjustment, despite that it was tight. Oh well, thx all. It's working now tho!

Back