• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Powder Ski's?????

Off Trail Mike said:
Ryanb

Where do you ride? If your a west coaster or mountian guy....stick with the 7" or wider skis. If your an east coaster or midwester...stick with the 7" or narrower skis, as you simply don't need all the floatation and its more difficult to bank a wide ski.
I am east coaster and pretty much run 90% off trail in powder and semi set up snow. I run the Slydog 7's on my XTX and Polaris Grippers on my MTX. I ran the stock MTX (2011) skis all last season and really liked them too.

IMHO, they are all good skis, and I would add the C&A XTX's to the pack. The Slydog 7's for excellent at trail riding and fresh powder but on set up or heavy snow, they are very edgy when banking which makes them tricky to manouver. I think it has alot to do with their very thin, knife like edge.

I really liked the stock MTX ski. With 6" carbides, they work very well on both trail and powder, and they are superior to the Slydogs in crud snow.

The polaris grippers are very similar to the MTX stock ski, but about 4 pounds lighter. THey are also readily available over on Snowest or online.

I think no matter what ski you choose, be sure to pick the right amount of carbide as well. Nytro's are useless in the handling department unless they have 5-6" of carbide on the snow.

Good luck

OTM

I ride in northern Maine. In the Back-country hills, roads, and fields. Where I ride there is a lot of snow!!!

Ryanb...Ah, just down the road!

I hope you guys are doing better than us in the snow department this year as I don't think I have 6" down on my lawn....and the mountians are still under 2 feet and everyone west of us if full! AHHHHHHH!

I've run on about 3-4 feet of bottomless powder last March on the MTX...(just before the big melt).. and didn't have any front end floatation issues with the stock 7" MTX ski. It was an absolute riot carving it up! My buddy on the other hand, was on an XTX with a 1.5 Crossover and the stock 4" skis and he could barely move....plowed everywhere.

So if you off road alot, changing to a powder ski is an absolute must on these sleds (the XTX should have come with the MTX ski as it is a superior all around performer anyway). What width you choose really depends on how you ride and what kind of snow. Part of the reason I went to a Polaris gripper is it is slightly narrower than the MTX ski (6.75" vs 7.00") which is easier to bank, especially on tracked up snow, or more set up spring stuff.

Lots of choices, and every one of them better than the stock XTX skinny's.

Good luck.

OTM

Off Trail Mike said:
Ryanb...Ah, just down the road!

I hope you guys are doing better than us in the snow department this year as I don't think I have 6" down on my lawn....and the mountians are still under 2 feet and everyone west of us if full! AHHHHHHH!

I've run on about 3-4 feet of bottomless powder last March on the MTX...(just before the big melt).. and didn't have any front end floatation issues with the stock 7" MTX ski. It was an absolute riot carving it up! My buddy on the other hand, was on an XTX with a 1.5 Crossover and the stock 4" skis and he could barely move....plowed everywhere.

So if you off road alot, changing to a powder ski is an absolute must on these sleds (the XTX should have come with the MTX ski as it is a superior all around performer anyway). What width you choose really depends on how you ride and what kind of snow. Part of the reason I went to a Polaris gripper is it is slightly narrower than the MTX ski (6.75" vs 7.00") which is easier to bank, especially on tracked up snow, or more set up spring stuff.

Lots of choices, and every one of them better than the stock XTX skinny's.

Good luck.

OTM
thanks a lot!!!!!! Im gettibg a lot of great info on which skis to get!!! But yeah in northern maine the snow is great!!! Around 2 weeks ago, i went backcountry riding with my buds in about 3 1/2 to 4 feet of powder!! It was great!!! I really wish i had the bigger skis then though. Let it keep snowing!!!! Thanks
:Rockon:

Hey Guys I am about to order up some powder hounds is there a disadvantage or advantage from the 7"-8" I just wondering why I wouldn't get the 8"

thanks
-John

As most know I ride all backcountry and I see no need for a ski wider than 7" if you cant keep them on top you need more track lug to help them out. You do want your inside ski to sink when carving to get it to handle at its peak. This is a happy medium where most anyone will agree is much more than the stockers but too much floatation will want the sled to lay down flat when you're wanting it to carve.

I run Curves on all my sleds and Love them, I was amazed to see how many people in Revelstoke were running them too.

We offer one ski with no compromises - Here is how a quality season may play out for you as an owner:

Weekend 1 - Take home 1st place at your local watercross event while your boat is in the shop.

Weekend 2 - Take home King of The Hill at your local hill drag event.

Weekend 3 - Enjoy a mellow paced trail ride with the family - free of darting.

Weekend 4 - Win the Cains Quest.

Weekend 5 - Win the USCC East Pro and Pro Open Championship.

Weekend 6 - Win the COR Powersports XC 4 stroke Championship.

Weekend 7 - Conquer a few chutes with OFT Racing in the mountains of Alaska.

Weekend 8 - Break the NSSR 4 stroke stock and trail stock world records (3 cylinder).

Weekend 9 - Sign autographs and soak up the fame on your own reality TV show (Don't forget to wear your Curve shirt).

- Sean

For your situation I have used C&A Xtx in the past. Great flotation, with a nice trail keel on them. Some skis get wider but sacrifice the riding ability in the corners etc. these don't. Flotation when boo docking and off trail. Trail bite, and cornering when heading back to the ranch or bar

Back