• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Powderlites CPR headers. Are they holding up?

Rx1M5

VIP Member
Well it looks like my CPR header is cracked. I'm wondering if anybody has any long term results with Dave's Powderlite/CPR replacement header. Anybody have one or know if they are lasting?

Thx Rx1M5

Are the powderlites header made of the same stainless steel as cpr?

rx1m5, sorry to here about your header, it should have last alot longer than that. please send it to me and i will warranty it for you. no charge, as for the thickness, its 14 guage tubing, its very thick guage. jeff

That's what I call taking care of the customer Jeff!!!! Are you replacing it completely or repairing it?

since we build them from scratch, we have all the individual pieces, and we repair them as necessary. jeff

SIMONS CPR said:
since we build them from scratch, we have all the individual pieces, and we repair them as necessary. jeff

Jeff, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I was under the impression that Dave from Powder Lites builds your headers along with some others????

we have built our own headers in house from stainless steel since day one. i have heard of this claim from other people as well, i think he needs to reword how he tells people that he sells 'knock-off' headers for turbo kits other than his own due to alot of people misunderstanding what he is saying. i think he has them for tison, mcx, northeast, alpine, cpr, ???, etc....he may in fact make them for OTHER companies, but No, we manufacture our own headers, etc in house. jeff

First off let me say right out of the chute that Jeff has come forward and taken an interest in my problem right from the get go and he doesn't know me from a hole in the ground so cudos him for that. It is nice to see someone stand behind there product for a change. Secondly I have been in contact with quite a few different guys running different brands of turbo about this issue and ALL BRANDS of header are cracking. I don't care what kind of kit you've got or who made it. The vibration and heat cycles of the front mount IMO are too much for the material. I measured mine and it is 1.6mm wall which is 14Ga as Jeff stated earlier. If a guy could find 10 or 12 Ga 321 SS bends it might be worth it to build a header from that. I sent the following pics to Jeff and he has offered to repair it. I'm leaning towards having it done local to save a whole bunch of time as we are right in the best time for riding around here and I have a big trip coming up.

I've attached some pics of the cracks as well as a proposed repair solution. I've done this to solicit some opinions here not to slag anybody. I was pretty PO'ed when I first started this post after having to tear my sled down so soon after building it but I've since cooled down some and gone back and edited my original comments.

I originally had the gussets added at the suggestion of someone. Had I not had those the whole top of the header would have come off turbo and all and stranded me in the backcountry. We were WAY back there when it started to lose boost. I'm pretty certain I can reinforce the collector enough to hopefully last but I'm not confident about the tube to flange connections at the block. Has anybody had these break off as mine are cracked there as well. Also has anybody devised a good reinforcement for this connection?

Let me know your opinions if you think this will work before I go ahead and have it welded or send it back to Jeff. I need this fixed fast. I'm also thinking of a third gusset plate for the outside of the header. The plates are made of 14 Ga 304 SS. The pics are in the reverse order of what I wanted but the top two are the repair plates bottom two are the cracks. I'll have the cracks welded then plate over the entire area.

Has anybody tried anything similar to this? Will it work or help or is it just going to make a mess?

Last question relates to mountain riding versus trail. It seems to me the mountain sleds have more problems than the trail versions, perhaps more on and off the throttle and more heat cycles or is it just cause I'm primarily hooked up with mounatin guys?

Thanks to all for any help

Rx1M5

Attachments

• header1.JPG
    header1.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 77
  • header3.JPG
    header3.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 77
  • repair1.JPG
    repair1.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 78
  • repair2.JPG
    repair2.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 83
My original header lasted 400 miles. I will see how long this new one lasts. The sled mainly gets used for drag racing but hopefully after season is over I can get some trail miles on it. Theoritically it should last longer but proof is in real world riding & racing. We will see exactly what happens. I can,t make a call yet.

Back