• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Powderlites CPR headers. Are they holding up?

Mine was ceramic coated, so is the new one I'm getting hope it helps. I was just thinking that if Boondocker is having these cracking problems as well we can take vibration out of the equation in designing a better header.

Rx1M5

i built one using 321 got 1600miles before it cracked. and it is cracked alot of cracks even in places several inches away from weld joints. i think theres just to much heat for that metal to withstand. like to have a formula 1 team build some i think they got it figured out.

Attachments

• HPIM0097.JPG
    HPIM0097.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 58
Don't worry about the boondocker, no better. Buddy just changed his out, as it colapsed. He has also had it welded, coated, they are no better. Doesn't matter who builds, like Kenclimb said, its all a matter of time.

Got my Powderlites replacement header tonight. Looks good the flange etc is much thicker. Hopefully it'll at least get me through the season.

Rx1M5

I think keeping snow out of the engine compartment is important, if your face is getting steamed up your header is not going to be happy. If you are running high boost with a tight .64 A/R turbine housing and pushing your turbo to it's limits you will be putting some big heat through your header, 2 to 3 times your boost pressure will be pumped up on the exhaust side. I do not think it is so much the vibration or the weight of the turbo, the extreme heat, thermo expansion and internal presure is the major causes of header failure. Solution ………. Get a bigger turbo, that’s just my opinion.

Out with the old and in with the new. Quite a difference on the flange thickness. Can't really measure the tubing.

Attachments

• oldnewheader1.jpg
    oldnewheader1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 69
  • oldnewheader2.jpg
    oldnewheader2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 69
Out with the old and in with the new. Quite a difference on the flange thickness. Can't really measure the tubing.

Attachments

• oldnewheader1.jpg
    oldnewheader1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 68
  • oldnewheader2.jpg
    oldnewheader2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 69
dirkdiggler said:
The biggest reason these headers are breaking is the Turbo Location. Until the weight of the Turbo is supported from above and Below the headers will continue to crack.

The only way you can eliminate it without supporting the weight of the turbo is to build a cast header.

You have to be kidding me.
I was going to ask someone how the Turbo was being supported to figure out this cracking issue.

If the engine can shake independent of the frame, then the mount for the turbo has to originate back to the engine. Not the frame.

Now I see it's allowed to swing like a grandfather clock pendulum. right from the exhaust ports.

Doesn't matter that you have flex at turbo joint.
Hold your arm out extended.
Now swing it around.
Now add 10 lbs in your hand and swing it around.
Notice any difference?
It's called Arm Moment, and it will Fk You Up.

Are there heat shields in place for protecting other areas?

You could also insulated the pipes to keep the temperature shock from both extremes.

We built Turbo drag bikes 30 years ago, and I see it's just being reinvented. Kits did not exist when we did them.
We never had cracking issues.

Detonation! Hell ya. Enough to blow the threads off every head stud and nut. But we're at 6 times the pressure and more.

The only thing that stopped the head, cyl combo from coming off was the frame and possibly the headers.
The heavily crafted chrome-moly frame was bent from holding it back.
There's tons more fun that occurred.

And one more thing with who ever came up with the idea of using industrial cold air wire mesh flex pipes for exhaust. Totally misapplied.

I see this is an older thread, but I was looking for a solution to the problem ( cracking ). Being its such a repeated topic and comes up like it's a new issue rather than a common one.

I haven't seen up close how these systems were put together.
But if I ever do, I will pick out the potential problems pretty quick.

At least Dirk got my attention. Smart Guy.

Season ended short here so I couldn't get more then 2000 miles this winter on my powderlites header. So far so good though. No problems.

how much of the cracked header problems could be in the way they are used? I am going to go the turbo route this year and am wondering? Is it from heat cycles, or from the way the sled is ridden? Is bouncing around a trail/mountain the cause? How are the lake racing guys doing with this problem. I question this because this is what I want to so to my sled.

aj

4strokes are better than2 said:
for some reason the 4cylinder seems to be much more a issue than the 3 have not heard of 1 vector header prob.

Some guys say that's because of the rpm difference 8K vs 10+K. Supposedly the Apex is even worse than the Rx due to the fact that lots of guys are spinning them close to 11,000 and the crank is lighter hence more viration and harmonics.

Rx1M5

Back