• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Powderlites CPR headers. Are they holding up?

I've been wondering if a guy could make a system where the turbo is supported by something on the chassis and connected to the engine via flex pipes. I don't know if there is a flex pipe made that will take the heat without burning up. I guess maybe it's called a rear mount.

Rx1M5

RX1M5, I dont actually know what it cost to make because he made a few other things for , but I could ask and get back to you . you can also probably buy a flange from CPR or Powderlites if need be . I had mine made out of 304 stainless because there are no issues with the flange cracking .

Benji

Our turbo is supported with a piviot mount which is bolted to the front engine mounts. As the header heats up and expands the turbo can move forward resulting in no additional stress to the header . So far we have not had cracking issues. We have pic of this on our web site. Perhaps a similiar system could be incorporated on other front mount systems FRED

lightningpro-fred said:
Perhaps a similiar system could be incorporated on other front mount systems FRED

You'd think they would try a different approach by now. Theres got to be a way of supporting the turbo without all the weight on the header.

I have 2000km on my powderlites/ Alpine header and no problems yet.( knock on wood).

Well, my new ceramic coated 2nd header will be on it's way back to Powder Lites today. Cracked and pinhole right at the flange where the turbo bolts up. No re-enforcement brackets on this one. The rest of the header looks ok. Only two rides this season, and less that 500km on the header, and no I didn’t leave out a zero there. Hopefully the repair or replacement lasts a lot longer, as this is totally unacceptable!

not that this is the average but I put close to 5000kms on my alpine header still not a crack. But on the other side I have rode with more then one guy who has had his day cut short by a cracked header. The guy who said a rear mount is the solution I have seen just as many of them head down the mountain with melted stock header pipes and cracks in the y-pipe.

See in one of my auto magazines an aftermarket header cast out of inconel for some car. There is your ultimate header!

Turk said:
My original header lasted 400 miles. I will see how long this new one lasts. The sled mainly gets used for drag racing but hopefully after season is over I can get some trail miles on it. Theoritically it should last longer but proof is in real world riding & racing. We will see exactly what happens. I can,t make a call yet.
i have 750 miles on my cpr turbo the crack was at the top at 250 miles the second now. jeff said send it in and he will fix it again under warrenty that nice but i have to hope it not going to cost me a lot when it 's tore down by my mechanic at the dealer. i would like to know what anyone else thinks about knowing after the repair is done the second time it's still going to fail unless you purchase the updated header thats comeing out the end of the season for a cost to be determand when it's done. i was told maybe around $500 i think it should be free to anybody that has had two or more failed headers. i spent a lot of money on my sled and now being laid off i would like to be able to ride my sled knowing it will hold up better with out costing more for what i already spent $5000 on. what do you think. thanks. mike.

I assume by the pictures that the alpine and CPR headers mount directly to the turbo? My boondocker has flex tubing and will hopefully keep me going. Has anybody had cracked headers with a boondocker setup?

I guess if the Boondocker headers crack with the flex pipe installed then vibration is not the issue just plain old heat. If the Boondocker headers never crack then it's the vibration that's killing all the other front mount headers in which case 321 stainless might make no difference at all. Does that make sense?

Let's hear from the Boondocker crowd.

Rx1M5

Back