• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Powderlites CPR headers. Are they holding up?

Headers

I build a replacement header for Northeast Turbos, Tison, MC front mounts and CPR guys have been using them as well for about 3 years.
I am always changing how we weld and make them to improve them all the time.
Big boost and HP means big heat and more stress on headers.
We are working on some tricks to make more power and better header life.
Some guys run all season and then next guy makes only a few weekends.
I will be first to admit that Apex is very hard on headers.
http://www.powderlites.com

Attachments

• Northeast CPR header RX1 (2).jpg
    Northeast CPR header RX1 (2).jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 71
7 time header replacer

Rx, Dont waste your time repairing or strenthening the header, ive been there and done that 7 times over the past 4 years, built the header up from top to bottom with the proper stainless only to have it break farther down the tubes,once the metel is fatigued it is done, jeff even repaired it once only to last 400kms, I have spent over 2000.00 in repairs and shipping repairing and replacing that header not including labour. This year i bought a new header from Jeff due to the fact he answers the phone when i call him and he tells me the new one is better. The rest of the system and performance of Jeffs kits are great but the header issues have been a nightmare to the point were im almost afraid of riding it anymore for fear that its going to break again. Somebody has to come up with a bullit proof design , it would even be worth the extra weight to have a cast manifold in my opinion!

Ive been saying make them out of cast from day one. I dont think the extra weight of cast would make a bit of a difference to the buyer, also im sure they wouldnt mind spending a bit more to avoid all the frustration of changing a header. Its a pain in the rear...BBY

Dave

Is that your CPR header in the picture? I like the idea of the gussets on the top plate to the tubes but the flange to header tube connection at the block is also broken on mine. I was wondering if a guy could make the flange that bolts to the block thicker with a tab on it that you could weld a brace or two on that would go right up to the turbo from the block in order to triangulate the whole thing and take some stress off the tubes? Do you understand what I mean?

At this point I'm a little reluctant to buy a new header if its just going to break anyways. What is your CPR header delivery if I do decide to go that route?

Rx1M5

we have similair results, our gen 2 headers are working well for the most part. mike just put 500 miles on this weekend trouble free, others have thousands of miles trouble free, afew break right away, but percentage wise that is very low.
we are also looking into a more structual design, but it will be around 5 lbs heavier

hlmrx1 said:
SIMONS CPR said:
since we build them from scratch, we have all the individual pieces, and we repair them as necessary. jeff

Jeff, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I was under the impression that Dave from Powder Lites builds your headers along with some others????[/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jeff simon wrote....
we have built our own headers in house from stainless steel since day one. i have heard of this claim from other people as well, i think he needs to reword how he tells people that he sells 'knock-off' headers for turbo kits other than his own due to alot of people misunderstanding what he is saying. i think he has them for tison, mcx, northeast, alpine, cpr, ???, etc....he may in fact make them for OTHER companies, but No, we manufacture our own headers, etc in house. jeff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now dave writes again....

I build a replacement header for Northeast Turbos, Tison, MC front mounts and CPR guys have been using them as well for about 3 years.

dave, here is a post that just adressed this issue, i think your wording tends to confuse people. jeff

quote]

The Material alone just to make a 321 stainless header is around $400 . I am making my own custom header (like Teds) right now for my Prostock sled I'm building , I already bought the material and merge collector from Burns Stainless and it was over $700 U.S. plus I had to by the T-25 flange and the header flange , then make it ! .

Benji

If it stands the test of time it's worth the extra cost in my opinion. I'm going on two trips in the next month and one is 10 days long. If the header cracks in the middle of nowhere what am I supposed to do? I'd gladly put up with an extra 5 lbs for the peace of mind of knowing you won't be stranded in the middle of nowhere. Most times in the mountains towing isn't an option so you're looking at a G note for a chopper ride out, doesn't take long to add up, and besides 5 lbs isn't even a gallon of fuel.

Rx1M5

Rx1M5 , knowing this info now it would be a good idea maybe for CPR , Powderlites to make it a option to step up to a Header made out if 321 stainless . 321 has the ability to tolerate extreme temperatures up and down , a friend of mine just had some massive augers made for his wood burning furnaces made out of 321 and they endure over 2000 degrees F , the stock 304 augers would not hold up to this extreme enviorment and massive fluxuations in temperature.

ProstockBenji

Benji

Have you got any pics of your header? Where did you get the flange for it. The T25 flanges are pretty easy to come by but the other one is pretty specific. In the end that may not be a bad price for a 321 header if it in fact will stand up better.

Rx1M5

We always had problems on our cars with tubular headers cracking with the turbo's then we switched over to cast headers after a couple seasons at the track. After the switch there were no more broken headers. I'd take the extra 5lbs to gain a cast header. So far my powderlites header has taken a beating and shows no signs of fatigue.

Man a guy could do some cool stuff with a flow jet. Has it got the flange programmed on computer? ie can he make more?

Thx

The biggest reason these headers are breaking is the Turbo Location. Until the weight of the Turbo is supported from above and Below the headers will continue to crack.

The only way you can eliminate it without supporting the weight of the turbo is to build a cast header.

Back