• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

precision skis

jminor1

Expert
who has installed them, how did they work and how hard were they to put on? Talked to a rep at a sled show on the weekend and he says they are 90% similar to simmons hence the law suit a few years ago.

I'm running Simmons. I think the Simmons are a little wider / more aggressive, but I could be wrong.

For some reason, all the magazines now rate the new Ski Doo skis ahead of the old Precisions.

Personally, I think the SLP PowderPros are a better skid for my Warrior than the Simmons. Not as difficult to turn, and don't push as much in looser conditions.
They darted a bit towards the end, but when I installed the Simmons I noticed my toe-out was way off...

Probably I'll try the PPs again this season, and shim them to reduce the darting.

jminor1 said:
Talked to a rep at a sled show on the weekend and he says they are 90% similar to simmons hence the law suit a few years ago.

I disagree with that rep. They look similar, but that's it. Simmons are wider (more float), more flexible (more consistent ground contact and smoother riding, also more able to take a hit without breaking), deeper keeled (better turning bite), and lighter weight (lighter weight :tg: ), plus they have the "micro-grooves" underneath (which I'm not sure are of any benefit...but maybe).

As a former Ski-Doo rider, I owned a sled that came stock with Precisions....swapped them for a pair of Simmons I got for cheap and found them to be a WORLD of difference. The Simmons were better and less likely to wash out in loose turns as much as the Precisions did. And the Simmons floated a lot better in the deep.

They look similar, but I found they handle quite differently.

That said, I think Simmons may not be a great choice for a heavy nosed 4 stroke due to their heavy steering effort. And most everyone who tries Simmons comments about the heavy steering. By design, they ALWAYS want to fight you and go straight, no matter where you turn the bars. I don't find that desirable personally. Theoretically a rockered, aggressive center-keel ski would take less turning effort while offering the desired better bite in the turns over stock. And proper setup (shimming, alignment, preload and transfer) will eliminate a darting problem with any ski.

Based on that theory I chose Slydogs with ski-savers and rockered Bergstrom triple points for my Attak...but I admit I haven't ridden it yet to see if my theory is correct.

What handling traits exactly are you trying to correct or improve on?

What handling traits exactly are you trying to correct or improve on?[/quote]

To be perfectly honest with you I don't really have any complaints with the stock skis but you read about so many people changing skis and it makes you wonder what you are missing out on. I am a groomed trail and lake racer so do you not think the precisions are a good fit seeing as how they are a less aggressive ski than the simmons or do you think the stock ski is better than the precision. I'm still looking for someone who has mounted them to chime in.

I had them on my first 03 Rx1 and loved them. I still had to put the stiffer bar, straight rate springs, and longer links on. Those skis made the sled much more predictable and easier turning.

I bought mine new with the assy kit. I do not remember if the shoe came with it or not. I did play around with the combination of spacers and washers that came with it to find a match.

If you bought new I take it that you are talking about the ski doo hardware and then some shimming?

I've run the stock, Precision, and now Simmons on my 30 Shorty. The stock skis completely suck, period. The precisions dart less, but still suck off trail and pack full of snow WAY too easy. The Simmons are by far the best choice of the three. They float awesome, self clean from snow and ice between the runners and absolutely DO NOT DART, ever. Mine steered very hard when I first mounted them up, but I just needed more preload on the front skid spring. They steer fine, carve great and don't dart at all. Only downfall is in slush they like to push the nose some. But any dual runner is gonna do that. Go with the Simmons. They are more expensive, but like so many things in life you get what you pay for!

jminor1 said:
do you not think the precisions are a good fit seeing as how they are a less aggressive ski than the simmons or do you think the stock ski is better than the precision.

I don't know....sorry. Never compared a stock Yamaha ski to a Precision to be able to offer any experience there. I've only compared a Precision to Simmons and found the Simmons to be better all around.

C1C,
I spoke to Scott Bergstrom about the 'rockered' effect of the tripples, he suprised me by saying, 'don't worry that will straighten out when bolted to the ski'. He was surprised to hear I / some thought it desireable and states it is from the weld process of the tripple carbides.

Interesting

Yamadoo

I have run the precisions on my rx-1 for a year now. The only comparison i can make is to the stock skis on my friend's rx-1. The precision skis are a world of difference better than stock yami's. As for comparing them to the simmons...couldn't really tell you but i was looking at the price when i bought the precision skis and i even managed to mount them with the ski-ddo mount kit that they came with by just switching one of the washers in the saddle around to give me just a little bit more room....so far so good! :yam:

yamadoo said:
C1C,
I spoke to Scott Bergstrom about the 'rockered' effect of the tripples, he suprised me by saying, 'don't worry that will straighten out when bolted to the ski'. He was surprised to hear I / some thought it desireable and states it is from the weld process of the tripple carbides.

Interesting

Yamadoo

HA! That is very interesting. I bolted his triple points (with ski savers) to my SlyDogs and they just bent the entire ski to match the rocker of the skeg. The skis are noticably bowed now...the skeg didn't move one bit. So he's completely wrong about the skis straightening the bar in my case. Maybe this is because the Slydogs are so flexible and other skis would bend the bar straight, but those are some STIFF and very fat bars so I find that hard to imagine.

Rockered skis and wearbars is a racing trick that's been around since the 70's to help reduce steering effort without sacrificing much bite. People would stuff shims under the middle of their wearbars and the steel skis would stay straight while bending the bar. USI sells their Power Steering Plates for their skis for the exact same reason...to rocker the ski and make them easier to steer. So I'm a bit stunned that this sounds like a bit of an accident and isn't by design from Bergstrom, but I acknowledge I never discussed it with him...just something I noticed on my own and indeed I feel it may be a desireable trait. But again I haven't ridden it yet to confirm my belief. So don't take my word that I have a good setup just yet.

Thanks for the info...

I need to pick up a set of carbide this year. I have Simmons on the sled but in talking to Bergstrom he is recommending the OEM ski 24" rail, ski saver, and shim for my weight and 136" track.

I like some of the things about the Simmons. Yes they take more effort to turn but they do turn. My doolies wouldn’t!

Is anyone else running the OEM ski with the Bergstrom setup? I’m temped to keep the Simmons and get the Bergstrom carbides for them.

Back