• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Protector plate for rear mount turbo........neccessary????

Topgun

Expert
Some members were emailing this past month about building a aluminum protector to keep snow and debris away from their rear mount turbos. I finally bent one up this week and installed it. Its fastened to the metal cross bar at the top rear of the tunnel and also rivited to the side of the tunnel. Looks like it will do the job.

But is it neccessary?? I've been told that snow hitting the turbo will cause it to make less HP"S, .. Regardless I wasn't happy about everything getting pelted under there.
IMG_0805.jpg

I did the same thing, but used 2" aluminum angle, 2 pieces bolted together. One bolted to the tunnel and the other extending under the turbo a bit.

I wasn't too concerned about snow on the turbo, just the odd piece of debris.

Attachments

• IMG_5296.jpg
    IMG_5296.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 75
The stock protectors with the Powderlites setup need to be lowered. I had to make a 2.5" drop bracket at the rear and about a 3/4" bracket for the middle mount of the stock aluminum protectors. I also installed a set of sliders to the bottom of the protectors to give more clearance. I dont know how to post a pic or I would. This is on a n 09 RTX SE with 1.25" Ripsaw and 1.34" Roetin studs.

Well as of today I can say that protector helped. Performance of the sled was much more consistant today then it was last time I had it out. Also snow build up in the tunnel was bad before due to snow melting off the turbo and building up ice in the tailend of the sled. The back of the tunnel is now snow free, glad I did it now. I guess not to mention the turbo is getting pelted by debris coming off the track.

How about the heat of the turbo and exhaust now being confined? Any signs of melting the seat pan or plastic panels ???

No signs of heat damage yet but remember the everything in front of the turbo is still open and exposed underneath.

i have the same thing on my sled but it goes a little further down my tunnel

only issue with mine is that i guess at some point or another the exhaust moved and bent the plate down, then it wore a groove in the track as the track debris wore through the plate

The Nytro's have a metal bar running from side to side so I bent the back of the plate up to bolt to that. If the track does connect it, it really can't pull it down.

Topgun said:
The Nytro's have a metal bar running from side to side so I bent the back of the plate up to bolt to that. If the track does connect it, it really can't pull it down.

Nice set-up. How long did it take you to fab that up? Was your track in the sled during while you were making and fitting the plate??

Choids454 said:
Topgun said:

Nice set-up. How long did it take you to fab that up? Was your track in the sled during while you were making and fitting the plate??
Plate was made in 5 minutes with a 30 minute install. The track was in the sled.

Back